The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reviving grandpa's camera...

Stuart Richardson

My aunt was digging through some boxes this fall, and she found my grandfather's camera -- a 1934 Leica III with 50mm f/2 Summar. My father told me that my grandfather visited Germany at that time and must have bought the camera then. Evidently he had photographs of Nazi roadblocks and so forth. He would go on to fight them in WWII after he joined the Navy. Hopefully I can find out a bit more of the backstory at some point. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago, so I will have to search the family history to find out.

I am the serious photographer in the family (at least the only one who still mucks about with film), so my aunt sent it my way, along with a Weston Master II that was with it. The meter in beautiful as well -- incredibly retro and made to an impeccable standard. It seems to still work, though I have not checked it for accuracy yet!

The camera is in great shape considering its age. It is a black enamel version. Amazingly, the finder and rangefinder are very clear and contrasty -- no problems there at all. The shutter works, but functions as bulb at slow speeds and is visibly sluggish at higher speeds.

The lens is in ok cosmetic shape, but the glass is extremely hazy. I sending everything to Sherry Krauter -- hopefully she can bring it back to good working order. It should be fun to shoot -- I even have a 35mm f/1.8 Canon RF lens and a 15mm voigtlander than should work on it.

This is the camera:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The lens is in ok cosmetic shape, but the glass is extremely hazy. I sending everything to Sherry Krauter -- hopefully she can bring it back to good working order.
SK is great - she fixed up my M6 classic (which, if memory serves I believe I may have actually bought from you some number of years back?) and a super stiff 35/2 III that I bought knowing it needed work. Best CLA/TLC out there for Leicas IMO. The M6 needed a shutter repair (the low speeds were gone and it acted very similar to your grand dad's III). The 35/2 III is now smoother and nicer than my late 35/2 IV, thinking I should send the latter in. The hazy Summitar sounds like it might be a potential problem though. I have a clean Summitar 50 I hardly ever use, so let me know if you're looking for a replacement.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Jan -- someone else must have sold you that M6 though...
I just got an email back from Sherry, and she said that the lens needs a full overhaul, but should be fine once it is done -- she did temper that by saying that it is old, so not to expect miracles. I am fine with that, as I just want to give new life to my grandfather's camera. I have more than enough ultra sharp lenses that I can use when that is a priority.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Stuart, It is wonderful that your grandfathers camera has been found and that it was placed in your trust. I'm sure he would be very happy to see it in your capable hands. It looks beautiful and I hope you post some photos from it soon.

etrigan63

Hey Stuart, I am in a similar pickle. My mom was purging my dad's old stuff and gave me his Ricoh 500 rangefinder. It's in OK shape but the shutter is messed up. Can Sherry do repairs on old Ricoh's?

Here are some shots:

Stuart Richardson

Hey Carlos -- I'm not sure...I imagine if you ask her, she will let you know. I would assume she could fix it if anyone can. Another place to try (with a quicker turnaround time) would be Nippon Photo Clinic in Manhattan.

Stuart Richardson

I don't think they have a website. I have only ever gone there in person, but here is the address and phone number. They are all old Japanese guys, so some of them are not great in English, but if anyone can fix an old Ricoh, it's probably them. I have had them fix an M3, Rolleiflex 3.5E and a couple of other items. Results have always been great, honest, and very quick (I think the longest was 10 days). They will tell you if it is uneconomical as well, but will do it anyway if you ask them.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3718533550