The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Infrared with GRD II

J

jorgeAD

Near Orotina, 20 min. away from the Costa Rican pacific coast. On the quiet days following new years eve celebration.

Hoya Infrared R72 filter with a 37-46 step-up ring to fit the GH-1 hood & adapter. Half a sec. exposure (took several tries before the kid kept still !), F3.5, ISO 200, camera on a tripod w/ 2 sec. self timer.

Learned not to trust the GRD2 distance scale when shooting IR... no matter how far away the focused object was the scale always indicated between 30-60 cmts !

Its a pictorialist dream come true. Still have to experiment with it a bit more, but after six years in Canon DSLR land with no chance of IR, I am pretty impressed.

FYI this location is just a few hundred yards away from the ONE MINUTE LONG EXPOSURE WITH THE GRDII I posted yesterday... The two pictures are very different, not just in subject matter but in style and form... The GRD II lets me shoot & interpret RAW like a big DSLR...!

Will

What an amazing picture. I'm not usually all that taken by IR images but this one is beautiful.

J

jorgeAD

Thanks a lot for your kind words people!

I dont consider myself a landscape photographer... Must be the little Ricoh making me feel like I discovered photography all over again... (come to think of it my daughter has been asking why I take the camera everywhere and shoot so much lately...)

In case someone wants to experiment with IR and the GRD these CS1 Adobe Camera Raw settings are a good starting point: Temperature 2000, Tint -150, Exposure +0,50, Shadows 14, Brightness 100, Constrast +100, Saturation -100.

I then gave the shot a Curves adjustment in order to slightly increase midtone contrast. The three control points were: Input 203, Output 194, Input 93, output 103, and Input 29, Output 26.

A Color Balance adjustment of 10, 0,-10 for the Midtones and again 10, 0, -10 for the Highlights provided the classical gold toned look.

Regards
Jorge