The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 4.6 and DNG files

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I upgraded to 4.6 today and find to my dismay that the Lens Correction Tool shows "Unsupported File" for DNG files. These are Phase P45+ files saved as DNG files in Adobe's DNG Converter.

This means I cannot use the various lens correction tools available in this tab, a real pita.

Unconverted files are fine. The EXIF info for the DNG files is complete except for the serial number and firmware of the camera.(These show in the original Phase tifs.)

Anybody have any thoughts on this? All my earlier files have been converted to DNG. I can correct them in LR2 but I really prefer C1.

Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bill...

AIUI, the only way to gain the C1 image processing tools is to process a raw file it supports. Since Adobe and C1 are kind of competitors, I am not surprised at C1's decision to not support DNG. So I suspect you will need to reprocess those raws in C1. (And frankly, I think you'd want to do that anyway so you start with a "pure" file for C1 that it work all of its magic on :))

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Keep your raws in whatever flavor the camera manufacturer intended.
The unintended consequences of conversion often cannot be undone.
DNG is an over-glorified tiff, and not at all that "standard". It also allows adobe to hold your images hostage.
-bob

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Another issue - does 4.6 provide auto correction for the Mamiya 28 mm lens? (I'm not at home right now and can't check my own files.) I understood that it does not - but Stan Sholik's review in Pro Photographer magazine says it does.
Bill

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it does but not corner sharpness which is the missing lens correction. Everything else works as 4.5 version