The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 new user with some pictures to share

deepdiver

Hi guys

I finally decided to buy A900 + ZA 24-70 F2.8 and ZA 135/1.8
Now I'm using 2 system, Nikon and Sony.
To be honest 135/1.8 is the one the pushed me to buy A900 :)
I'm really curious about this lens.

First Impression about this lens.
1. the build quality is Superb
2. the AF is fast, but not very good for AF-C (dunno, was it due to the A900 AF system or the speed of the lens)

here are some pics that I took using A900 + ZA 135/1.8 for the 1st time.

A900 + ZA 135/1.8 + SB 900 + Pocket Wizard

tried the AF-C on A900 (which was not very good compare to Nikon D700 or D3)

overall I'm Ok with this camera :)
Thx to the Zeiss 135/1.8 AF lens
One thing for sure, Sony need to improve on the flash system.
It's really bad...

Andree

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Andree,

Very nicely done as usually! How does the Zeiss 24-70/2,8 ZA compare to the Nikon zoom? Thanks,

Cheers,

deepdiver

Andree,

Very nicely done as usually! How does the Zeiss 24-70/2,8 ZA compare to the Nikon zoom? Thanks,

Cheers,

Hi Ocean.
Thx :)

about ZA 24-70 compare to Nikon 24-70 F2.8
IMHO, I think ZA 24-70 has a better bokeh, compare to Nikon 24-70 F2.8
However, ZA 24-70 suffer a lot of vignetting at F2.8 - F4
This is not a problem for me, I like it :)

some example to share
A900 + ZA 24-70 F2.8

Andree

douglasf13

Nice shots :)

What was it that is so bad about the flash system? Nikon definitely has the best, but Sony is probably #2. Did you try out a few Sony 58 flashes?

deepdiver

Nice shots :)

What was it that is so bad about the flash system? Nikon definitely has the best, but Sony is probably #2. Did you try out a few Sony 58 flashes?
Hi Douglas.
Do i haven't tried the new Sony 58 (mine is on the way today :D ) should receive it this afternoon.
Currently i'm using F56, this flash is so bad.
Most of the time, is under exposure and If i'm using it for bouncing flash, the result is even worse.
When I;m using Nikon, even the cheapest flash (SB 400) gives me perfect exposure, direct or bouncing does not matter.

My friend told me about F56, according to him, it's actually a 9 years old minolta's Flash, that re-badge by Sony.
No wonder the flash is so bad for F56 :mad:

fotografz

Hi Andree. Beautiful model and excellent shots or her with your new rig :thumbup:

There is a lot to learn about a new camera, and each system is different (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc.) relative to one another.

I now have three flashes for the A900 ... the HVL-F56AM, HVL-F58AM, and a Metz MZ-4i digital with a SCA 3302 module. I have not experienced any noticeable underexposure with any of the three ... they perform about the same as my SB800 and SB900 on a D3/D700 when working side-by-side in the same lighting conditions at weddings. However, I must say that for functional excellence and ease of use, the best flash I've used to date is the Nikon SB900.

The Sony 56 with it's smaller guide number is the smallest and lightest of the three Sony dedicated flashes. Generally, it is a good fill flash, and makes a nice travel unit because of it's size relative to the other choices.

Be prepared, the Sony 58 is an innovative, but odd design that takes getting used to. It slowed me down at a recent wedding because I have developed an instinctive way to move conventional flash heads quickly. The 58 requires learning new instinctive patterns for fast shooting.

The Metz with the dedicated Sony/Minolta shoe on the SCA 3302 module may prove to be the best choice of all ... due to the fill window when bouncing ... but I have to shoot a couple of weddings with it to make sure. The Metz supports all wireless Sony functions, so in effect, I have a 3 flash system for wireless work ... which I have yet to learn and do ;)

Andree, have you noted any CA with your ZA135/1.8 where hard edges butte up against a bright background?

My ZA24-70/2.8 exhibits next to NO CA even in the worst edge conditions ... almost as good a APO lens. This is a phenomenal zoom IMO. Some distortion and a touch of vignetting ... but that snap one expects from Zeiss and absolutely beautiful Bokeh ... especially at the close focusing distances where it really comes into play even at f/2.8.

But I have experienced severe CA with the ZA85/1.4 to the point that I think it is a defective lens and I'm sending back to Sony for inspection. Some CA so bad I can't even correct it with a post program ... not acceptable at these prices, and certainly not expected from a Zeiss lens. I understand that there will be some CA with a non-APO lens, but this is pretty bad and makes it hard to get a crisp image in back lit or directional lighting conditions. :mad:

What are other people's experiences with CA on the ZA85/1.4 ?

N

nautilus

Fotografz,

is it possible for you to post the worst image regarding CA's of your 85 lens, a total shot and enlargement to get a perspective?
It could be helpful for analysis to see the what type of CA you get and to what extend.

In most of their more expensive lenses Sony uses one or more extra low dispersion (ED) lens elements to prevent chromatic aberrations. The CZ 135 for example has two of them, the CZ 24-70 two as well, the 70-200G four, the 70-300G one, the 70-400G two, the 300G three. Many of the lower prized lenses have ED elemets as well.

For whatever reason they didn't build the CZ 85 and CZ 16-80 with ED elements.
From my use I can tell that I haven't got visible CA's with the CZ 135 and CZ 16-80.

Maybe your CZ85 shows a typical behaviour but I mentioned the CZ16-80 to give a little hope that the lack of the ED elements doesn't necessarly lead to bad CA behaviour.

As a sidenote. APO doesn't mean that the lens is bullet proof against CA. For example the 2,8/200 APO G is still (on digital sensors) absolutely sharp and contrasty in all lighting situations. Wide open (stepping down helps), in certain situations it can produce wonderful CA in the back (green) and front focus plane (magenta) areas while staying absolutely pin sharp and contrasty in the focus plane.

Compared to this your CZ 85 seems to be different as well, you described it as 'makes it hard to get a crisp image in back lit or directional lighting conditions'. Maybe a hint that it needs to visit the service department. How is the sharpness in not critical situations?
Ok or uncertain?. This lens is somewhere on my own buying list as well.

douglasf13

I also get some pretty extreme longitudinal CA with the ZA 85 in the scenarios you mentioned. Photozone tests show this, although they say it's not really any worse than other maker's 85s, and the ZA 135 has it too, but not as bad.

deepdiver

Hi Andree. Beautiful model and excellent shots or her with your new rig :thumbup:

There is a lot to learn about a new camera, and each system is different (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc.) relative to one another.

I now have three flashes for the A900 ... the HVL-F56AM, HVL-F58AM, and a Metz MZ-4i digital with a SCA 3302 module. I have not experienced any noticeable underexposure with any of the three ... they perform about the same as my SB800 and SB900 on a D3/D700 when working side-by-side in the same lighting conditions at weddings. However, I must say that for functional excellence and ease of use, the best flash I've used to date is the Nikon SB900.

The Sony 56 with it's smaller guide number is the smallest and lightest of the three Sony dedicated flashes. Generally, it is a good fill flash, and makes a nice travel unit because of it's size relative to the other choices.

Be prepared, the Sony 58 is an innovative, but odd design that takes getting used to. It slowed me down at a recent wedding because I have developed an instinctive way to move conventional flash heads quickly. The 58 requires learning new instinctive patterns for fast shooting.

The Metz with the dedicated Sony/Minolta shoe on the SCA 3302 module may prove to be the best choice of all ... due to the fill window when bouncing ... but I have to shoot a couple of weddings with it to make sure. The Metz supports all wireless Sony functions, so in effect, I have a 3 flash system for wireless work ... which I have yet to learn and do ;)

Andree, have you noted any CA with your ZA135/1.8 where hard edges butte up against a bright background?

My ZA24-70/2.8 exhibits next to NO CA even in the worst edge conditions ... almost as good a APO lens. This is a phenomenal zoom IMO. Some distortion and a touch of vignetting ... but that snap one expects from Zeiss and absolutely beautiful Bokeh ... especially at the close focusing distances where it really comes into play even at f/2.8.

But I have experienced severe CA with the ZA85/1.4 to the point that I think it is a defective lens and I'm sending back to Sony for inspection. Some CA so bad I can't even correct it with a post program ... not acceptable at these prices, and certainly not expected from a Zeiss lens. I understand that there will be some CA with a non-APO lens, but this is pretty bad and makes it hard to get a crisp image in back lit or directional lighting conditions. :mad:

Hi Fotografz :)
Yes, I agree with u, I need to learn a lot more about this new system. It's not easy to use this camera after using Nikon for more than 10 years >_<
everything so different.
About the flash, yesterday afternoon I received my F58.
This flash is wonderful (IMHO)
It's much more intelligent compare to F56.
Try bouncing flash shot, the result perfect :) I'm so happy with this Flash.
I haven't tried it for outdoor shooting.

"Andree, have you noted any CA with your ZA135/1.8 where hard edges butte up against a bright background?"
YES, here is an example

full shot A900 + ZA 135/1.8 @F1.8

CROP 1

on the left part, there is no CA
CROP 2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Congrats Andree, looks absolutely great, wise move :thumbup:
The ZA 135mm on 24 Mp A900 with its pixel pitch of 5.94 microns, has approximately the same Angle Of View as the ZF 85mm on 12 Mp D300 (~128mm) with its pixel pitch of 5.49 microns.
I don't think I could resist a comparison on tripods with the same framing if I had both systems, just out of plain curiousity about what that would reveal :angel:

jonoslack

It's not easy to use this camera after using Nikon for more than 10 years
HI Andree
Great shots, and great to see you over here - I've had my A900 since October, and I'm loving it. Certainly odd after the Nikon, but to me it feels much more like a 'camera' and less like a 'device'. I hope you get to love yours too.

deepdiver

Hi Bondo, Thx you :)
Yes, to be honest I want D3X too, but I'm just a hobbyist not a professional Photographer. $8000 for camera alone is too expensive...

Hi Jono,
Yes u are right, the more I used, it, the better it fells now :D
Today, i pickup My A900 + ZA 135/1.8
took some pics around my house :)
here are them

F2.2

F1.8

F3.5

ANdree

Quentin_Bargate

H

My experiences with the 85mm F1.4 are much the same as yours. So called longitudinal CA is I think pretty intrusive at wide apertures, but it only marginally affects the main subjects I use this lens for, e.g portraits. I doubt there is anything wrong with your lens.

Quentin

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes, to be honest I want D3X too, but I'm just a hobbyist not a professional Photographer. $8000 for camera alone is too expensive...
Don't worry Andree, I only suggested a comparison with your existing D300 + ZF 1.4/85 combo :)
The two combos would have approximately the same angle of view and use approximately the same pixel pitch.

jonoslack

HI Andree
Lovely shots - not many of those around here at the moment (it's been freezing for the last week, now it's raining brrrrrr.

Hi Jono,
Yes u are right, the more I used, it, the better it fells now :D
I wanted the D3x as well . . at least, I think I wanted a D700x (if you see what I mean). I bought the A900 because my dealer conned me into borrowing one and I liked it.

Now I like it so much (it feels more like a camera than a computer, and it feels like a partnership rather than a master / slave relationship). Added to which that the colour in early morning and late evening light is so much more subtle . . .. that I have abandoned Nikon completely.

I can see that your flash requirements might make a difference, and there is certainly a need for ultrasonic motors in a few more lenses. I haven't had a single moment's regret though.