The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ken Rockwell puts 5d mk ii against d3x

Amin

Ken says that the difference is due to massive NR on the Canon, but there is much more sharpening on the Nikon image in his comparison. Since this is a comparison of in-camera JPEGs, he ought to have tried adjusting the in-camera sharpening settings on the two cameras in order to get a similar level of sharpening. He also did not specify, from what I saw, what the in-camera NR settings were.

Personally, my decision would not be affected by such a comparison, because I shoot RAW.

robmac

I'd pay more attention to the opinions of folks like Lloyd Chambers on his paid (but excellent) review site. He LOVES the D3x and likes the 5DII (so far) within the limitations of it's pro-sumer body, VF, etc but is not a fan of the noise and noise characteristics of the 5D Mod 2. Test is still in early stages (he updates daily) but the IQ from the D3X looks VERY impressive - camera appears to have a very 'different' than the norm (weak?) AA filter.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Unless one thinks that Ken faked the entire test on purpose, it looks pretty straightforward to me...am sure that won't keep some from tearing it apart, what conclusions you reach from it can be a whole other thing. I don't see from a monitor jpeg a whole lot to say bout noise, but sharpness certainly looks like a whole other thing, with the D3X looking more sharp and detailed then the new 5D. One should remember that you are looking on a monitor of a jpeg, and whether this translates to prints may be a whole other thing.. personally I can't say I disagree with the findings...fwiw..

mazor

Amin, I suspect that even with RAW captures Canons digic 4 processor will still adjust the noise from the 5d mk ii. The reason being that people want a camera that is "low noise" and hence why Canon has responded to the consumers and made it so.

There is no doubt though that this noise reduction is very clever, and maintains quite substantial detail while minimizing noise. But in that image, even with USM appleid in photoshop would not being back details visible in the D3x image.

I had another look at the image from Ken, and the JPG does indeed look like alot of noise reduction at ISO100 has been applied. So much so that it resembles images from Nokias 5MP N series cell cam range which sports amazing water colour images, with bush details lost in mush.

MAzor

mark1958

I just do not understand. i can see one doing a comparison using in camera generated jpgs if one is testing some point and shoots or even lower end DSLRs but how many people buy the 5DII and primarily use the in camera generated jpgs?

mazor

Well 5d mk ii is considered as a non pro camera, or just under, hence why JPG may have been important. Also Canon has to find a way to further dumb down the camera so as to not encroach on 1ds mk iii sales.

Also it is always nice to know that you can use the JPG output directly from camera for instant publication should one require to do so.

Mazor

mazor

For those interested, ken has been at it again.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3x/iso-3200-5d-mark-ii-d3.htm

Comparing JPG between D3x, 5d mk ii , D3 and the old 5D

I am really amazed at how good the old 5D does against the 5d mk ii here. I know they are JPG, but still if using RAW would improve the ISO3200 performance of the 5dmkii, it would do similarly with the old 5D as well.

5D Users need only apply a little chroma noise reduction during their workflow process, and essentially they will get a similar result in terms of noise and detail to the 5d mk ii I believe.

Mazor

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I just do not understand. i can see one doing a comparison using in camera generated jpgs if one is testing some point and shoots or even lower end DSLRs but how many people buy the 5DII and primarily use the in camera generated jpgs?
I'm completely with you on this, Mark.
I don't get it either :confused:
The only reason I can think of would be an attempt to avoid showing the difference with RAW.

JimCollum

The only reason I can think of would be an attempt to avoid showing the difference with RAW.
if you read anything else from Ken, you'll see he insists there's no benefit in shooting RAW.

JimCollum

he also has a disclaimer on his site that everything he writes, he does so in jest, and shouldn't be taken seriously. As a result, he's done a pretty good job of misdirecting many beginning photographers

mark1958

In addition, the argument that this is not a pro camera is not a valid argument. Pro by definition means someone who earns his living in part or whole. There are lots of good amateurs that use RAW exclusively. If one were shooting daily and in the elements, the 5DII might not be the best "pro" camera.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
he also has a disclaimer on his site that everything he writes, he does so in jest, and shouldn't be taken seriously. As a result, he's done a pretty good job of misdirecting many beginning photographers
Exactly why I refuse to read him Jim and it is a great disservice for the industry.

mazor

Hey, Ken Rockwell has updated his web page showing the sharpness differnces between the D3x and the 5d mk ii.

Now he has comparisons with High NR off on JPG as well as converted RAW CR2 files from the 5d mk ii to compare.

MAzor

JimCollum

Hey, Ken Rockwell has updated his web page showing the sharpness differnces between the D3x and the 5d mk ii.

Now he has comparisons with High NR off on JPG as well as converted RAW CR2 files from the 5d mk ii to compare.

MAzor

the problem is just what is real and what isn't.. is this a real test or not. Given his own words on what he presents.. how can anyone actually take any thing said on the site as real? Since he mixes truth and fantasy, without saying which is which... *everything* on his site has to be taken as fake

"While often inspired by actual products and events, just like any other good news organization, I like to make things up and stretch the truth if they make an article more fun. In the case of new products, rumors and just plain silly stuff, it's all pretend. If you lack a good BS detector, please treat this entire site as a work of fiction."

mazor

hehe true, but he does state at the bottom of the comparison how it was done. thought the 5D mk ii with CR2 conversion looked pretty good against the D3x.

Don Libby

I just read the outline for one of his “workshops” which leads me to believe the trip isn’t focused on photographers rather just a nice drive around the northern portion of the state. I liked the idea that there would be little walking as most image captures will be taken either near or from the van.

Sorry, not my cup of tea. His site is now on my do not read under any circumstances even if bored list.

don

dseelig

I have the best dslr in the world, whoops now I don"t this reviewer said this the other said this. Hey guys all of these cameras have different areas they excel at. Do I want to lug a big pro camera all day. I own 3 do I want to get a photo that I would not have seen because I have my little leica on me and it does not stress my body out to carry around all day. Or maybe I fell like carrying a 5d mk 11 and I am on a dog walk and run into a moose. The best camera is the one you will have on you. If I have a specific assignment then the pro cameras come out. But who wants to carry a 1d or d3 series camera all day? PS Ken Rockwell is a bad joke on the industry as you never know what to take seriousily

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My cats know more about cameras than KR. They at least sleep curled up around the 5D and Leicas.