The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

25 lux question

Terry

Mine arrived yesterday. I simply popped it on the camera and it already auto focused and the aperture on A or manual worked fine. :clap:

Does this mean that mine came with the latest firmware? Is there really any way to check what firmware version a lens is using?

I'ts pretty big and will probably be a bit of a joke next to the 20 f.17 :LOL:

scho

Mine arrived yesterday. I simply popped it on the camera and it already auto focused and the aperture on A or manual worked fine. :clap:

Does this mean that mine came with the latest firmware? Is there really any way to check what firmware version a lens is using?

I'ts pretty big and will probably be a bit of a joke next to the 20 f.17 :LOL:
Terry, Check setup menu > Versions. That will show camera and lens firmware versions. Mine shipped with 2.0 and I upgraded it to 2.1.

Regards,
Carl

Terry

Terry, Check setup menu > Versions. That will show camera and lens firmware versions. Mine shipped with 2.0 and I upgraded it to 2.1.

Regards,
Carl
Perfect thanks Carl. I'm not used to firmware on lenses! Mine shipped with 2.1. At least we now know that Panny is still making this lens and it isn't from an old stock pile!

Martin S

My version of the 25mm f1.4 was already 2.1.

However, when I put the aperture ring in A, and went to P mode, the aperture remained in 1.4 regardless of the subject (shutter speed varied). This seems counter-intuitive.

I tried to update the lens. However, when the downloaded firmware (.bin format) was placed in the G1, and I switched the camera to "Play", the camera just read out - No Image Readable."

What's going on??

Does this lems work in P on your G1's???

Please advise.

Martin

Terry

I just tested it and it is fine. I don't typically use P so here are my exact steps....

Lens set to A
Camera set to P
pointed camera and half pressed shutter for reading.
It gave me the initial exposure at f1.4
If I press in the front wheel then I rotate, it will then move up to f1.8 and the corresponding shutter speed and so on.

I just had another go at it and sometimes it would give me a different starting f stop. I assume it is taking into consideration what shutter speed you would need. For instance if I pointed it out the window it closed the lens down to 2.2 and 1/250.

I hope this helps.

scott kirkpatrick

My version of the 25mm f1.4 was already 2.1.

I tried to update the lens. However, when the downloaded firmware (.bin format) was placed in the G1, and I switched the camera to "Play", the camera just read out - No Image Readable."

What's going on??
I don't have any M4/3 gear but I do have 4/3 cameras and lenses. Updating the firmware on their lenses is done by attaching the camera to a PC or Mac running the manufacturer's program (Master or Studio for Olympus) and doing an Internet connected update. Not just by copying an update software into the root directory of the SD card. So check with the detailed instructions for updating the 4/3 25/1.4 to see if there are some special steps. For example if it can only be done on a 4/3 camera.

scott

scho

I don't have any M4/3 gear but I do have 4/3 cameras and lenses. Updating the firmware on their lenses is done by attaching the camera to a PC or Mac running the manufacturer's program (Master or Studio for Olympus) and doing an Internet connected update. Not just by copying an update software into the root directory of the SD card. So check with the detailed instructions for updating the 4/3 25/1.4 to see if there are some special steps. For example if it can only be done on a 4/3 camera.

scott
I updated my 25 1.4 to 2.1 (from 2.0) by just loading the .bin file on an sd card (root level), put card in the G1, turn on and switch to play mode,then just follow the firmware update instructions on the LCD. MUST have fully charged battery to do this.

Carl

jonoslack

Updating the firmware on their lenses is done by attaching the camera to a PC or Mac running the manufacturer's program (Master or Studio for Olympus) and doing an Internet connected update.
HI Scott
This has changed for the Panasonic cameras - and for updating Olympus lenses on them. I think Cindy is the oracle on this, but it is, indeed, a download to an SD card put in the camera.

Terry

Terry, I'm curious. How is the autofocus speed on the 25 lux with the G1 compare to the kit lenses?
Loud! Oh you wanted speed. :D
The speed still feels plenty fast enough. I've only had it for a couple of days and to date have NOT thought to myself "oh this seems sluggish".

Last edited:

lmr

Just got my adapter yesterday...

Like Terry said, it is LOUD!, but plenty fast.:thumbup:

This is a grab shot this morning.

G1, 25Lux @1.4 Speed (?)

cjlacz

Loud! Oh you wanted speed. :D
The speed still feels plenty fast enough. I've only had it for a couple of days and to date have NOT thought to myself "oh this seems sluggish".
Awesome. That means the AF slowness on the E30 probably has more with the camera's firmware then the lenses. I want to wait until PMA to buy a camera, but everytime I come read these forums it gets harder to resist a G1. 47 more days to go!!! 我慢しないと。。。 :thumbup:

scott kirkpatrick

HI Scott
This has changed for the Panasonic cameras - and for updating Olympus lenses on them. I think Cindy is the oracle on this, but it is, indeed, a download to an SD card put in the camera.
How very sensible! (Even though it denies the manufacturer his chance to do a little online thought control and customer validation). Have the Oly's also changed, or only Panasonic?

scott

Last edited:

thomasl.se

Old thread but one with some tech talk about the PL25, so I'll bump it with my question: Is there a profile available for eliminating this lens' RAW file CA in LR3? I've been googling hi and lo...

I told Jonas from whom I bought this fine copy that CA doesn't bother me too much, and it's not bad either but always sweeter still if what little there is from f1.4-2.5 can be removed.

Godfrey

Old thread but one with some tech talk about the PL25, so I'll bump it with my question: Is there a profile available for eliminating this lens' RAW file CA in LR3? I've been googling hi and lo...

I told Jonas from whom I bought this fine copy that CA doesn't bother me too much, and it's not bad either but always sweeter still if what little there is from f1.4-2.5 can be removed.
- If you're using the Summilux 25 with a Panasonic Lumix G body, the lens injects correction information into the raw files that Lightroom and Camera Raw use automatically to remove CA.

- If you're using the Summilux 25 with any other body (Olympus or Panasonic FourThirds SLR or Micro-FourThirds Olympus Pen), there is no .LCP available as yet. I created a couple of Develop presets that do CA correction well enough for my purposes.

This one does a good job on f/3.2 to f/5.6 with my example of the Summilux:

s = {
id = "9E732FA0-EF4D-488B-8C9A-053E1FB71B51",
internalName = "Summilux 25 CA f3.2",
title = "Summilux 25 CA f3.2",
type = "Develop",
value = {
settings = {
ChromaticAberrationB = -5,
ChromaticAberrationR = -59,
Defringe = 0,
EnableLensCorrections = true,
},
uuid = "BEAFDB37-A1E9-4011-B770-BD2369886A01",
},
version = 0,
}

Copy-paste that into a plain text file, save it with extension ".lrtemplate" and import that into Lightroom 3 using the right-click command in the Develop Presets panel.

Note that at f/2, I find it a little heavy handed ... +2 BY, -36 RG does better.

thomasl.se

Godfrey,

The info on cameras and the template with instructions and your settings is appreciated.

So you're actually correcting PL25 CA at f3.2 and above then... Flicking through my test shots I thought I'd be correcting f1.4-2.5-ish.

Regards,
Thomas

Godfrey

The info on cameras and the template with instructions and your settings is appreciated.

So you're actually correcting PL25 CA at f3.2 and above then... Flicking through my test shots I thought I'd be correcting f1.4-2.5-ish.
Lateral chromatic aberration tends to shift per the aperture being used, as well as with focus distance setting (but less so) depending upon the particular lens design. I add corrections at all lens openings, but the correction settings vary a little bit based on what aperture and focus distance was used.

I tend to use the Summilux in the f/1.4 to f/2.8 range most. It was designed to be optimized for that kind of use and often its CA in that range simply isn't a problem. My experience with my particular lens shows that the settings needed are less in this range than in the f/3.2-f/7.1 range, then taper off again about f/8.

Your lens might show slightly different characteristics. Every lens is an individual... :)

thomasl.se

f8 and be there. NOT =D

Make that f2. Come to think of the bonus feature, the locking function of the aperture ring which is otherwise easily rotated. With the 1/3rd steps and kind of floppy indentations, I'd still often be checking the screen to confirm the A. Handling is OK; AF and manual focusing work as expected and then of course the glass, it's really sweet.

Godfrey

f8 and be there. NOT =D

Make that f2. Come to think of the bonus feature, the locking function of the aperture ring which is otherwise easily rotated. With the 1/3rd steps and kind of floppy indentations, I'd still often be checking the screen to confirm the A. Handling is OK; AF and manual focusing work as expected and then of course the glass, it's really sweet.
Hmm. I've never rotated the aperture ring by accident. I have used the lens on Panasonic L1 and G1, which support the aperture ring, and on the E-1 and E-5 which do not. On the L1, it's the only way to set the aperture and since i tend to work in Aperture priority AE a lot of the time, I couldn't lock the ring.

I guess it's just something you need to get used to.