The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

large print from M8

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate to attend the recent Yosemite Workshop hosted by Guy and Jack.

I decided to print some of the photos taken at the "Valley View" with the M8 and a WATE. I consulted with David Adamson, who was kind enough to review and help process the DNG file to optimize it for printing. Yesterday, I received the first print.

The print is 40 inches across and looks stunning. I had read a thread regarding prints this size from the M8 on the User's Forum last year and there was some skepticism regarding whether the M8 files would withstand printing to these dimensions, but it really came out well.

David was great to work with and gave me a wonderful photo to frame for my home. Again, I was very pleased to see that these results were possible with a 10MP sensor; I thought I would need a medium format camera to obtain these results.

Thanks, steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

Sounds outstanding! Too bad there really isn't a good way to show us the print online :)

Some of said when the M8 first came out that we were surprised at how well the M8 files held up to large upsizing. We took a bunch of heat in two other forums just for saying it, because such a small file could never be printed that large :D. Anyway, glad you got a few from the trip worth printing up, and especially one that size!

Congrats,

M

Mitch Alland

Given the quality of the M8 files the good results are not surprising; but I have been printing Ricoh GRD ISO 800 files at 40x52 inches (100x133cm). I use ImagePrint which automatically uprezes the files to whatever is necessary. The results are as good as 40x60 inch (100x150cm) prints I've made from Tri-X negatives.

My experience is that if a picture prints well at A4 size and has no weird artifacts it can be printed much larger because the viewing distance is much larger. Of course one must take with a grain of salt what people say about maximum print size possible: for example, some people maintain that they wouldn't make prints larger than 11x14 inches from 35mm negatives — obviously people who shoot medium format are after a different aesthetic of what people shooting grainy Tri-X.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Daniel

Given the quality of the M8 files the good results are not surprising; but I have been printing Ricoh GRD ISO 800 files at 40x52 inches (100x133cm). I use ImagePrint which automatically uprezes the files to whatever is necessary. The results are as good as 40x60 inch (100x150cm) prints I've made from Tri-X negatives.

My experience is that if a picture prints well at A4 size and has no weird artifacts it can be printed much larger because the viewing distance is much larger. Of course one must take with a grain of salt what people say about maximum print size possible: for example, some people maintain that they wouldn't make prints larger than 11x14 inches from 35mm negatives — obviously people who shoot medium format are after a different aesthetic of what people shooting grainy Tri-X.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/
i did an experiment about 3 years ago with a scene i captured with my nikon d70 (6 megapixels). i cropped it into a panorama format. i then enlarge the image in 10 percent increments until it was 60 inches long by 12 inches wide. i then applied "grain" to the image using photoshop's noise filter. the resulting print was amazing. an acquaintance from new orleans loved it so much that he bought it.

i also did an experiment with a scene i captured with the iPhone. i carefully enlarged it and then applied "grain" to it. the resulting image can be printed to almost fill a 16 x 20 paper. it looks very good. especially in black and white. i won't be shy to show this one in a gallery.

– dan

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Some of said when the M8 first came out that we were surprised at how well the M8 files held up to large upsizing. We took a bunch of heat in two other forums just for saying it, because such a small file could never be printed that large :D. Anyway, glad you got a few from the trip worth printing up, and especially one that size!

Congrats,

Jack:

This was one of the shots you took heat on:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep, it sure was Rob! For reference, the little image is the full frame M8 file printed out at 360 PPI. I don't remember the exact sizes of the medium and large crops, but think they were sections of a 20x30 and 40x60 respectively.

Cheers,

robsteve

Subscriber
Yep, it sure was Rob! For reference, the little image is the full frame M8 file printed out at 360 PPI. I don't remember the exact sizes of the medium and large crops, but think they were sections of a 20x30 and 40x60 respectively.

Cheers,
Jack:

The big one was a crop out of a 60x88 print.

Daniel

i love it when naysayers can be shushed with proofs like this. 6, 10, 12, 24 megapixels are just that, pixels. they're simply product technical specifications and NOT limitations for what an Artist can or can't do.

of course anyone can find faults with such an enlargement, but in the real world, people don't enjoy pictures with their noses pressed on the picture. it's the same with paintings. no one come up close to a painting to fuss about the artist's brush strokes, and whether or not if the artist used a number 1, 2, or 12 flat brush or whatever brushes, or even fuss about the density of the canvas weave. the real world stand back and admire the work.

scatesmd

Workshop Member
This is a JPEG of the file that I sent in (I worked last pm, just got back to my laptop). I think David re-did the DNG to better deal with the sky/land interface before printing.

We took in the photo to the framer today; I'm hoping to have it back in 2 weeks.

Thanks for everyone's input,

steve