The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm Summicron on FullFrame=X on G1: Solve for X

The 35 'cron on an M6 is just about a perfect carry around camera. Except for the film part.

The G1 looks utterly ripe to have a fast, 35mm (equiv), compact everyday lens for walking around. A lens nobody will ever have to make an excuse for the image quality from. Maybe even a special lens. [AHEM: digital hexar, hello?]

Is there a lens like this?

And on a related note, what do folks think about the G1 as a proof of concept vehicle for a full frame EVF/LiveView mulitply adaptable platform. Could be a real boon for the alternative lensers and other gearheads. Or just folks like me who'd like to put a special lens in front of a full frame sensor.

The mind reels.:bugeyes:

K

kiloran

Fast and compact 18mm? No. You can have compact (the Voigtlander 12 and 15) or you can have the Zeiss 18 (neither compact nor fast nor cheap). Fastest you can get is the Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 but its huge and very, very expensive.

Only option for a fast 35 equivalent will be a G1 format (i.e. not full frame) lens from OlyPanaLeica. Or maybe Cosina/Voigtlander will be encouraged to research a G1 prime lens line?

Terry

Well, there will be the 20mm f1.7 coming. So, close at 40mm. It is a pacake style so, very compact. Quality unknown buy sure seems to me Panny learned a thing or two in their Leica arrangement. Time will tell if this lens will be a winner. Will it be Zeiss or Leica quality probably not but still could be a whole lot of fun.

As to full frame seems logical.

Hmm, that 20 sounds like a potential winner. I really liked the 40mm Summicron-C that was my first Leica lens. Very interesting indeed. Thanks!

K

kiloran

And the 7-14 f/4 and 14-140 f/4-5.6 can be seen here. Note that the 7-14 does not have OIS...

monza

I'm not too concerned about the 7-14 without OIS, especially if it's cheaper and smaller. And it looks perdy small. :)

peterb

Terry and John are right. The only svelte lens on the horizon is probably the pancake (due out this month I thought). I agree with Terry that the quality will probably be quite good and may even equal the good stuff from their former German partners. (Oh I can hear the howls of disagreement now!) Okay, maybe the pricey re-formed sand from Germany will still be better but seriously, from John's photo the bulbous front element of the new pancake is reminiscent of the pre-ASPH 35 cron's which were legendary for their sharpness as well as their magical 'bokeh'. So at f1.7 it could be a real winner. And will certainly fill the bill as a nice smallish lens to create a good modern iteration of the tote-around digital camera you seek.

The proof of course remains to be seen. But as Terry mentioend, the folks at Panasonic are keen observers and after number of years producing producing optics to the demands of their Teutonic partners, my guess is (if the kit lens is any indication) it will be razor sharp. And nothing to feel second class about compared to the German glass. Just my two pfennigs.

Peter

Last edited:
K

kiloran

The 20 and the 7-14 are essential lenses for me unless we can persuade our friends at Voigtlander to create a fast 12mm in G1 format (which ain't gonna happen...). Wish they'd hurry up and announce them, have a round the world trip to gear up for in May...

barjohn

I did some more controlled testing yesterday using daylight (shaded) and carefully set up my tripod, camera and 4 lenses I wanted to test. I have to tell you that those 2 kit lenses are just outstanding when it comes to resolution and contrast. I will really be curious to see what Sean finds. He has hinted the the RD-1 may be better. That will surprise me if true because I owned an RD-1 and I have RD-1 images in my files and I sure don't see it.