The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dumb question

back alley

are the settings for hyper focal distance shooting the same if i use a lens on a film body and the g1?

i went out today in the blazing sunshine, zm 21 on the g1 and set the aperture at f8 and then set the lens distance for hyper focal shooting.
shots were sharp so it must have worked but i still feel the need to ask.

joe

V

Vivek

Joe, The liveview (big screen and not the EVF) actuall would show you what difference it makes if you check the lens wide open to say, f/8. This isn't a range finder camera, you know (just stating the obvious in case you forgot)!:)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Not such a dumb question.
A lens actually focuses at only one distance. In front of and behind that point of focus, the image blurs. The amount of acceptable blur for something to appear in-focus is called the circle of confusion. It actually varies depending on film and sensor size, and some say, for critical nose-distance viewing (including me) by the pixel pitch of your sensor.
For a print-size DOF explanation see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html
From my point of view, however, the DOF scales seem always to be too generous since I am a dyed-in-the-wool pixel peeper LOL
-bob

Terry

Not such a dumb question.
A lens actually focuses at only one distance. In front of and behind that point of focus, the image blurs. The amount of acceptable blur for something to appear in-focus is called the circle of confusion. It actually varies depending on film and sensor size, and some say, for critical nose-distance viewing (including me) by the pixel pitch of your sensor.
For a print-size DOF explanation see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html
From my point of view, however, the DOF scales seem always to be too generous since I am a dyed-in-the-wool pixel peeper LOL
-bob
Bob, following on to the sensor size part for the M8 wasn't the best advice to use a stop or two less on the scale? For instance if you were shooting at f8 use the hyperfocal setting for f5.6.

Bob, following on to the sensor size part for the M8 wasn't the best advice to use a stop or two less on the scale? For instance if you were shooting at f8 use the hyperfocal setting for f5.6.
So shouldn't it be more stops for the G1 since the sensor is smaller than on the M8? Is anyone bold enough to make some tests to see whether the theory is correct in real life?

A major problem is that one can´t trust the distance scales when using adapters. My Novoflex (for Leica M lenses on G1) is a bit too thin, so when focussing any of my lenss visually on a distant object, the scale says something else (depends on the FL of the lens, since it is a fixed flange distance error); on my Summicron 50 it is between 5 and 10 meters. And, yes, all the lenses focus correctly on my M2.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
According to my calculations, a 4/3 camera when stopped down to f/16 should yeild the same dof as a 35mm camera at f/8.
So roughly speaking, you can use the lens scales with a two stop offset.
-bob

Terry

According to my calculations, a 4/3 camera when stopped down to f/16 should yeild the same dof as a 35mm camera at f/8.
So roughly speaking, you can use the lens scales with a two stop offset.
-bob
Bob, isn't it reversed that the 4/3 at f8 = 35mm at f16?

V

Vivek

Distance scales, hyperfocal.. come on folks, this isn't a range finder and it isn't a TLR or an SLR with mirror lock-up.

scho

Distance scales, hyperfocal.. come on folks, this isn't a range finder and it isn't a TLR or an SLR with mirror lock-up.
Ahh..,but it brings back fond memories of my old Rolleiflex when I'm shooting the G1 at waist level. Now if only we could have a Gx with a square sensor:)

V

Vivek

Carl, I still have a Topcoflex (the bigger bro of Primo Jr, I have one of those beauties as well)! :)

P

psurfer

I was thinking about this, too . That hyperfocal dist settings would be very useful for pre-focusing. (Still have no lens adapters yet, and still thinking MF in most low light situations handheld is going to be a major PITA w/this camera...)

Y.B.Hudson III

sheeze... when focusing wif t' G1 & NoctiLux, I have to put on my sungLasses in lowlight situ@tions... 2.8's acceptable, 2.0's gooD, 1.4's exceLLent...the diopter correction is eXcellent for the aging demographic...a diopter correction and magnifier for a Leica M costs aLmost as much as the G1 and is a dim set-up...