The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R 100mm f/2.8 Apo Macro on G1

lmr

Folks, I thought I start a thread on "Lens type + G1". Just to show the possibilities... I might start another thread on Leica M 50 Nocti on G1... unless someone else beats me to the punch.

Lens = Leica R 100mm f/2.8.
Adapters = Two adapters used, R to 4/3, and 4/3 to m4/3
R 1:1 attachment is possible since it screws to the front of the lens.
Sample snaps below shot wide open @ 2.8 and hand held. There are some motion blurr, but it is ok since these are just snaps :) . Did auto leveling and re-size it PS. No other adjustment done. Just shots to show that it can be done and some results.

Robert.

lmr

Martin... I bought it from either B&H or Adorama or Amazon.com (I foget) Got it to use R lens on my Panasonic L1 (Panaleica). It is a leica adapter... mfg. catalog# 18628. There are other R to 4/3 adapter available and they may even make one for R to m4/3. Using one less adapter is a plus. Sold my L1 to get the G1.

Robert.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Wow! Love the white flower. I could well see a whole series of flower shots in that style.

fordfanjpn

Not to change the subject, but last night for the first time I put my old Nikon 105 macro lens on the G1 and I was amazed at how well it works and how good the images look. I don't have anything worth looking at yet, but I'll post something when I do. This is definitely fun stuff. :D

Bill

View attachment 11056

Leica R 2.8/100 @ f=16 - 2 sec - RAW

I am used to Capture One and tried Silkypix but hated this version. I downloaded Raw Therapee and Gimp and was amazed by the quality and good user interface of this free software. The web does not do justice to the original picture; the whites, which have a lot of detail and rich gradations, appear washed out.

barjohn

Peter,

They don't look washed out on my monitor. I am on an iMac 24 color calibrated with a Spider 2. I can see very fine detail in each petal and a subtle range of colors.

They don't look washed out on my monitor. I am on an iMac 24 color calibrated with a Spider 2. I can see very fine detail in each petal and a subtle range of colors.
This photo is a good test for the monitor. I re-calibrated with Spider 2.1 and it improved the rendition, although of course a 72 dpi image cannot come near the tone richness of the original. Evidently I had been a bit lazy about periodical re-calibration, thanks.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]G1 - Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/100 + APO Extender-R 2x - ISO=100 - Raw Therapee + Gimp [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]G1 - Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/100 + APO Extender-R 2x - ISO=100 - Raw Therapee + Gimp [/FONT]

This combination is like using a 400mm macro on a 35mm camera