The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 attached to my Leica Televid 77 Spotting Scope

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing.

First off, there was some play in the 4 mounts used, plus I need a better plate for the scope, and admittedly I was too lazy to get my larger tripod out as it's packed for Moab. Plus it is a gray, overcast day, so not a lot of light. Anyway, no doubt this set-up can do a bit better, but here is an very early shot just to try it out.

First the set-up. Note the 4 adapters from scope to camera; Leica scope to T mount, T mount to Nikon F, Nikon F to 4/3rds, 4/3rds to G1:

Next, the scene as it appears shot with the G1, kit lens set to normal or 25mm. The hose on the house across the street is about 50 meters away:

Next, the full frame on the G1, same shooting position as above as seen through the scope, straight from the camera:

Finally, here is an actual pixel crop from the above image. I realize it isn't super sharp, but then I don't know what sharp from a 1000mm tele on the G1 is supposed to look like:

Anyway, I think it shows some promise, so stay tuned for more to come AFTER Moab and after I get the T to 4/3rds adapter.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL:

Fortunately, that's my neighbor's outside plumbing, not mine :D

L

Lupo

So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing....
In Germany I would have long been arrested.

either because of the telescope in the neighborhood,
or of the crooked pipes.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just realized this is actually an 1100mm f10 lens when used this way, so equivalent to about a 2200mm effective tele on the G1(!)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing.

First off, there was some play in the 4 mounts used, plus I need a better plate for the scope, and admittedly I was too lazy to get my larger tripod out as it's packed for Moab. Plus it is a gray, overcast day, so not a lot of light. Anyway, no doubt this set-up can do a bit better, but here is an very early shot just to try it out.

First the set-up. Note the 4 adapters from scope to camera; Leica scope to T mount, T mount to Nikon F, Nikon F to 4/3rds, 4/3rds to G1:

Next, the scene as it appears shot with the G1, kit lens set to normal or 25mm. The hose on the house across the street is about 50 meters away:

Next, the full frame on the G1, same shooting position as above as seen through the scope, straight from the camera:

Finally, here is an actual pixel crop from the above image. I realize it isn't super sharp, but then I don't know what sharp from a 1000mm tele on the G1 is supposed to look like:

Anyway, I think it shows some promise, so stay tuned for more to come AFTER Moab and after I get the T to 4/3rds adapter.

You, my friend, are a MAD MAN! :thumbs:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I just realized this is actually an 1100mm f10 lens when used this way, so equivalent to about a 2200mm effective tele on the G1(!)

Awesome set-up! The Televid is as heavy or heavier than some of the 1000mm mirror lenses.

O

olyinaz

Exactly Jack! Don't apologize at all for that image quality!

At any rate, unless the Leica is advertised as having a flat field at the focal plane (not common) you can probably improve upon your image quality at the corners and gain a bit of extra speed by using a focal reducer/field flatter in the image train. I know that Tele Vue makes a .8 model that gets good reviews and also William Optics has one. The key is to get one that's optimized for the focal length of your scope.

Cheers,
Oly

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmmm... should I consider this for street photography? Jack, can you do me a favour?
Take a stroll through the city with this setup mounted on a BushHawk, and see if you get arrested :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL: