The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CYZ conversion to Minolta AF/Alpha

docmaas

Haven't received my a900 yet but today I took an M42 focus confirm adapter over to a machinist friend along with my CY 35-70 f3.4 and we milled out a two step hole in the back of the converter leaving something like 30 1000ths of meat left before we would start hitting the flange. Decided to stop there pending testing for infinity focus when the A900 arrives.

If it works I will convert a 50mm 1.4 and possibly my 21mm distagon as well.

Mike

docmaas

Infinity focus test image of CYZ 35-70 conversion on A900

Here is a test of infinity focus at 70mm at f8 of my Contax Zeiss 35-70 f3.4 zoom lens taken on my A900. I used a tripod and manually held the lens to the mount. sorry it is a little dark but look at the wire in the center of the image.

http://www.pbase.com/masimo/image/108703174/original

What do you think?

Mike

picman

Re: Infinity focus test image of CYZ 35-70 conversion on A900

Here is a test of infinity focus at 70mm at f8 of my Contax Zeiss 35-70 f3.4 zoom lens taken on my A900. I used a tripod and manually held the lens to the mount. sorry it is a little dark but look at the wire in the center of the image.

http://www.pbase.com/masimo/image/108703174/original

What do you think?

Mike
Very difficult to judge based on that one picture (subject and size). Maybe you should make a few other pictures. I'm very interested in the outcome though because I have several Contax lenses that I would love to use on my A900 (28mmf2, 60mmf2.8 macro, 100mmf2).

Good luck! Cheers, Bob.

docmaas

Re: Infinity focus test image of CYZ 35-70 conversion on A900

Hi bob,

I will be taking more shots before I lock down the conversion. I need to epoxy the converter to the back of the 35-70 and don't want to do that prematurely.

This was a quick shot before I had to leave yesterday. I'm back now and tomorrow or Monday I will set up better and more detailed tests. Instead of holding the lens flush to the camera I will put both on a rail snd align them so I can focus better. Sometimes two hands are just not enough.

In addition I lost the aperture feedback bearing and so there is no click stop in the apertures until I get a new one. The way the lens is designed it's easy to move both the focus and aperture at the same time. Maybe even three hands would not be enough.

Stand by. I will be posting more shots and asking for assessment.

thanks,

Mike

Very difficult to judge based on that one picture (subject and size). Maybe you should make a few other pictures. I'm very interested in the outcome though because I have several Contax lenses that I would love to use on my A900 (28mmf2, 60mmf2.8 macro, 100mmf2).

Good luck! Cheers, Bob.