The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 1Ds mkIII

mark1958

HI All

Has anyone here had a chance to test out the Canon 1Ds mk III? Curious to the beta testers early opinions?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not me... But I am curious about how well it really performs.

J

Joe Decker

I'm looking forward to finding out, but I may not actually receive the one I've ordered until after my return from Patagonia. Looking forward to sharing results, though.

mark1958

WEll i am going to cancel one when one is avaliable :)

BTW i was stuck at the Burbank airport tonight and a bunch of folks from Calumet was there.. they told me early Dec

mark1958

Will do... I am probably not in real good shape one the list... because i waited. I do need to sell some gear if i am going to be able to pay for it. Contrary to what you might believe ... money is actually very tight right now. IN fact, my plan is to see how much difference things are between the 1DsmkIII and my leaf aptus 65 digital back/hassy. I just cannot keep up with the upgrades in MF. Moreover, the absence of Tilt shift options for me is a real issue and I am not in position to keep a view camera in addition. If i was doing this full time -- perhaps... but I want a portable system for animals/wildlife and landscapes... so if the canon with 3rd party lenses or their own primes are even close--- well bye bye hassy. If hasselblad would not have been jerking people around with changing their pro line formats, I may have a different view at this point.

We did purchase a used car for my daughter... too...and thought could have bought me two 1DsmkIIIs..

Attachments

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IN fact, my plan is to see how much difference things are between the 1DsmkIII and my leaf aptus 65 digital back/hassy. I just cannot keep up with the upgrades in MF. Moreover, the absence of Tilt shift options for me is a real issue and I am not in position to keep a view camera in addition.
I hear you on all fronts. Tilt and Shift capability is a very welcome feature of the Canon system and using a DB with a view camera is an inelegant solution. The Alpa with Shift however looks like a pretty elegant solution and might be worth investigating as an alternative for your Aptus 65 as I doubt the 1DsIII will equal its output...

Cheers,

mark1958

I agree with what you are saying... the alpa that looks most appealing is the 12xy but the cost of that set up will be quite expensive. By the time you get the lenses, back adapter, camera etc.. well i am not sure i can add that high.

I hear you on all fronts. Tilt and Shift capability is a very welcome feature of the Canon system and using a DB with a view camera is an inelegant solution. The Alpa with Shift however looks like a pretty elegant solution and might be worth investigating as an alternative for your Aptus 65 as I doubt the 1DsIII will equal its output...

Cheers,

David K

Workshop Member
Mark,
This has to be one of the few places on the internet where a guy who says money is tight orders an expensive piece of gear and everyone can relate :) Personally, I don't think I would be happy going back to Canon after shooting with the Leica DMR, M8 and my Aptus back. There is no question they make a fine product and on the long end their lenses are unbeatable but I've been shooting mostly wide these days and it's slim pickings in the Canon lineup on that score. Have you tried an M8 or is the rangefinder format just not your cup of tea?

Attachments

mark1958

David.. I have to say that the M8 just does not seem to be my cup of tea. I got to handle Guy's once shortly after they were released. I can see the great image quality... I am perhaps going to have to have too high of an expectation of the 1DsmkIII. The leaf aptus is an outstanding back in terms of image quality-- and really have gotten spoiled..

Mark,
This has to be one of the few places on the internet where a guy who says money is tight orders an expensive piece of gear and everyone can relate :) Personally, I don't think I would be happy going back to Canon after shooting with the Leica DMR, M8 and my Aptus back. There is no question they make a fine product and on the long end their lenses are unbeatable but I've been shooting mostly wide these days and it's slim pickings in the Canon lineup on that score. Have you tried an M8 or is the rangefinder format just not your cup of tea?

fotografz

I have a long standing order for the 1DsMKII and will keep it on order for now because I need swift AF and high ISO performance for my Documentary wedding work.

I am curious as to how T/S works with the Canons since I've never tried any of the lenses available. Is the image circle large enough to really make that a viable option?

Currently using a Hasselbald 39 meg back on a Rollei Xact with digitar lenses and a Kapture Group sliding back. Mostly in studio, and some location (when I have an assistant to lug it all).

Also do some tilt/shift work with an Aptus 75s on a Mamiya RZ using the T/S adapter or T/S lens ... but really wide work is not possible due to the crop factor of a 645 back on a 6X7 camera ... but it's a nice table-top solution for selective focus stuff.

BTW, I don't confuse the Canons with these MF backs in terms of image quality. But the rule of "Horses for Courses" applies when one has diverse problems to solve.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marc:

I'd say the Canon TSE are very useful; they are by far my most used Canon lenses. The 90 is a stunner, typical L rendering even though it isn't technically an L lens (Think 135/2). The 45 is at least as good as the 50/1.4 at smaller apertures, and IMO a half a notch better (Think 85/1.8). The 24 is an L, but is also the wild card and I had to sort through three to find a good one --- one that was sharp yet without excessive CA. The 24 has L contrast and color, kind of renders like the 35 L. Corners on the 24 go a bit soft if you shift more than 8mm. (All the TSE's allow 11mm of shift.)

As for IC, yes, they all have more than adequate IC's. HOWEVER! Many folks re-orient TSE's to place the tilt and shift axis on the same plane, and with the 24 this means you can over-run the IC if you combine forward tilt with rise. (Stock orientation allows you to combine tilt and shift or swing and rise/fall; the re-orientation allows tilt and rise/fall or swing and shift.) I personally have re-oriented my 45 and 90, but put my 24 back to stock.

See my notes here on the re-orientation procedure. (I know the page view is messed up and have not had time to fix that, so apologies in advance.): http://www.getdpi.com/tse_swap.html

mark1958

Jack... I have always liked your TSE articles.. helped me in the earlier days.

BTW the Canon 1DsmkIII has been delivered to some stores in Europe. I am first on my dealers list

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark:

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress --- would love to see some raw files too.

Cheers,

mark1958

It turns out the posts on dpreview about the camera being released and tested by a pro photographer were bogus.. so i thought delivery was coming soon.. now not sure.

Hi Mark:

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress --- would love to see some raw files too.

Cheers,

PeterA

All the companies are into vapourware ... the digital demand growth curve is already flattening out..it will be much harder for companies to bring out new toys looking forward and get the kind of volume and margin impacts previously experienced..