The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

cRAW and the Alpha 900

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I always shoot RAW and just remembered that the a900 has a compressed RAW option.

I'm going to test it for myself tomorrow but wonder if others have any experience with this mode that they'd like to share?

I'm about to embark on a trip where I'll be traveling very light - 48 gigs of cards, a backup UDMA hard drive but no laptop. The appeal of about 40% extra frames is real but I don't want to compromise quality.

Bill

fotografz

I haven't even looked at that option at all ... so will be interested in any response you get.

My question would be whether you are forced to use the Sony software to utilize the compressed RAW format. That could be a serious compromise in speed when you return from your trip.

Braeside

I always shoot cRAW and can see no difference between that and RAW (apart from file size).
cRAW works with all my RAW developing software here, just the same as RAW.
There have been many technical discussions on other forums about cRAW v RAW, and I am yet to be convinced that RAW offers any benefits to me.
Try it and make some tests yourself first if in any doubt.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I haven't looked closely at the results yet, but both C1 and LR2 handle the cRaw files just fine.
I'll get out my magnifying glass tomorrow!
Thanks for your input,
Bill

Lars

Curious... is the Sony cRAW compression nondestructive or does it trim the data?

J

jeff stevens

I tried both on a scene that had harsh highlights, just to see if the uncompressed could recover more detail. I couldn't tell a difference, so I just shot cRAW and my harddrives couldn't be happier!