The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon V versus the 5000 film scanner?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm starting back doing film in my IIIG (may even start doing my developing) and I see I need a scanner.

Those who have used the two Nikon's what are your feeling about them?

Also Nikon's software vs Vuescan vs Silverfast?

W

workingcamera

The Nikons are pretty good for what they are.
I have the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 and have used the 9000. I take it these are the two you are referring to.

My impressions were the 9000 did not do as good a job on 35mm as the dedicated 35mm format scanner. But don’t ask me to prove it.

I use the Nikoscan software and don’t have a problem with it. The Analogue Gain feature is indispensable.

Both Nikoscan and Vuescan allow for “exposure control” I don’t think Silverfast does or it didn’t? when I looked at it years ago now, could be mistaken.

The instruction manual for the Nikon Scanners and software is hopeless which is probably why many users went with Vuescan or Silverfast