The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 to Canon FD adapter article...

Interesting article here...

Canon FD to m4/3rds adapter with lots of FD lenses shown.

Where will it all end? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Brian
Well, it will have to end before the EF lenses, since there´s no way of setting the aperture without lots of electronics. Same for Nikon G lenses; they stay at their smallest aperture all the time. Not very useful....:thumbdown:

BTW, Brian, any info about a time frame for the next f/w version for the G1? The more adapters I get, the more I want a faster way of getting to the focussing aid.....:rolleyes:

Brian Mosley

BTW, Brian, any info about a time frame for the next f/w version for the G1? The more adapters I get, the more I want a faster way of getting to the focussing aid.....:rolleyes:
Hi Per, I have an appointment for tomorrow - will let you know any feedback.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Per, I've updated our Safari Group field review just now (answering John Newman's earlier question regarding the 7-14), and will update again tomorrow.

The news is that development is continuing as planned, the 7-14 and 14-150 will ship in the spring and the 20mm will ship in the Autumn... exact dates to be announced soon.

Panasonic are investing serious resources into developing the G series of cams. Excellent news imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Per, I've updated our Safari Group field review just now (answering John Newman's earlier question regarding the 7-14), and will update again tomorrow.

The news is that development is continuing as planned, the 7-14 and 14-150 will ship in the spring and the 20mm will ship in the Autumn... exact dates to be announced soon.
Good news, except that I would have liked to get the 20 far earlier.... OTOH, who knows what Olympus will launch in the meantime...

Panasonic are investing serious resources into developing the G series of cams. Excellent news imho.
Indeed. And, great to have such a channel for communication with a manufacturer of Panasonic´s magnitude.... One almost feels a bit dizzy ;)
I did know a couple of guys at Hasselblad when that was my preferred gun, but never had the feeling they cared much about suggestions from outsiders...

Thanks to Brian, this group seem to actually influence what´s coming up to some extent. Incredible!

K

kiloran

Very disappointing to hear the 20 won't be available to the autumn :(
Time to get the Oly 25 pancake I guess and that 7-14 is going to sell like the proverbial hot cakes...

mawz

Very disappointing to hear the 20 won't be available to the autumn :(
Time to get the Oly 25 pancake I guess and that 7-14 is going to sell like the proverbial hot cakes...
Ditto, the 20 was the must-have lens for me. I'm guessing I'll probably end up with the Oly 25 then, or a Voigtlander 25/4 Color-Skopar.

I'm glad to hear there's a lot of resources going into the system, it's pretty much perfect for my digital work and I'm looking for long-term buyin to the system.

back alley

not till autumn for the 20, bummer.
i far prefer a 40 to a 50 (20/25) so i guess it's the kit lens and the zm 21 for a while yet.

mawz

But with the 20mm not being available until this autumn... They must have listened to somebody else also!

;)

--
Jonas
Well, I know that the DPReview forums are all over the 14-140 (The least interesting of the three to me). And Panny is known to monitor those forums as there's a very strong FZ series community there.

V

Vivek

Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck
Thanks to Brian, this group seem to actually influence what´s coming up to some extent. Incredible!
Sounds like a religious cult is sprouting up.

Bad news.

Jonas

Well, I know that the DPReview forums are all over the 14-140 (The least interesting of the three to me). And Panny is known to monitor those forums as there's a very strong FZ series community there.
Hmm. If Panny monitors DPR they can't have missed all the requests for the 20/1.7 to be available ASAP.

I think Panny are hot on the 14-140 as they need it for the video version of the G1.

Now what? I'm not very interested in buying a Zeiss 21mm for EUR 1.100 or something like that. I'll have to check alternatives.

mawz

Hmm. If Panny monitors DPR they can't have missed all the requests for the 20/1.7 to be available ASAP.

I think Panny are hot on the 14-140 as they need it for the video version of the G1.

Now what? I'm not very interested in buying a Zeiss 21mm for EUR 1.100 or something like that. I'll have to check alternatives.
I'm guessing the best alternatives would be either the Voigtlander 21/4 or the Pentax SMC-M 20/4 for small, good and not too pricey. The Oly 21/2 would probably be a decent option as well at a price not much lower than the Zeiss.

Diane B

I'm guessing the best alternatives would be either the Voigtlander 21/4 or the Pentax SMC-M 20/4 for small, good and not too pricey. The Oly 21/2 would probably be a decent option as well at a price not much lower than the Zeiss.
I wanted the 20 f/1.7 for a fast standard. The f/4 won't suit me. That puts me back with my Canon setup and means the G1 becomes less useful to me unless I can find a reasonably priced faster normal.

Diane

Jonas

Thank you for the suggestions. But, there is always a but..., I don't want an f/4 lens. I want a reasonably fast normal. At least an f/2 lens.
I have owned the OM21/2 and I didn't regret selling it. Even on the relaxed Canon 5D it is pretty soft at f/2 and f/2.8, decent at f/4.

I wanted the 20 f/1.7 for a fast standard. The f/4 won't suit me. That puts me back with my Canon setup and means the G1 becomes less useful to me unless I can find a reasonably priced faster normal.
Diane
I completely agree.

Is there a good 24mm M-mount lens that is fast? Or is the Voigtländer 28/2 the closest we can get?

regards, /Jonas

Diane B

Jonas, I'm looking at a quite inexpensive FD 24 f/2.8--but still not as fast as I'd like--but I might consider it. I'm going to look at the Voigtlander also.

Diane

back alley

my 21 is the 4.5 which i realize is too slow for most but i can live with it.

but i really do want a small, sharp and reasonably fast lens as well.

not till autumn...damn!

Diane B

my 21 is the 4.5 which i realize is too slow for most but i can live with it.

but i really do want a small, sharp and reasonably fast lens as well.

not till autumn...damn!

You said it. I was expecting it to be one of the first since they don't have a fast lens at any FL--but.....

Diane