The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 + 135/2.8 STF T4.5 (some pics to share)

deepdiver

some photos from last sunday to share :)
This is my 1st time using 135 STF for shooting a model.

A900 + 135 STF + Wireless lighting F58 + F56

Can u see the special bokeh :D

Andree

jonoslack

Lovely Andree
I especially like the last one.
So . . . how are you feeling about the A900 after a few weeks, and how much are you using your Nikon gear?

deepdiver

Hi douglasf13, thx :)

Hi Bondo, so far I haven't printed it bigger than A3 size. I only have Epson 4800 right now. Max size A2. I will try to print them soon :p

Hi Jono,
Hm... how do i feel about A900.
One thing for sure, I love the Glass :D
Zeiss 135/1.8, Zeiss 24-70/2.8 and STF 135 are really nice.
I haven't used my Nikon gear since I bought A900. I want to explore and learn a lot more from A900 :) (it's more than a month already hahahhaa)

BTW, here are few more pics to share

pics of me :p

with A900 + VG and FL 58

J

jeff stevens

Were you using the 58 to trigger the other flashes? If so, I'm curious how well it worked outside, any misfires, etc.

robmac

I'm also curious how you are finding the in-camera AS compensating for the lower max usable ISO of the Sony sensor ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The pictures of the Sony camera and the photographer at work were taken with a Nikon D60 according to the Exif informations.
There are many good things to say about Andree and his photographical performance, one of them is that he always leaves the Exif informations intact in the images :lecture:

robmac

I wonder if one could adapt Mamiya M645 or Hassy to the Minolta/Sony mount (as you can to Nikon, EoS or Leica R)? Be interesting to see what the 110/2 F or Mamiya 200/2.8 APO would do with that sensor

Edit - Actually Fotodiox does make a Hassy-Sony Alpha mount adapter. Story still out on Mamiya M645

LCT

Ah yes thanks but the dynamic range does not look that wide on the 2 first pics above either no?

LCT

Not to criticise at all but i seem to recall nice pics by Andree with his D3 and Zeiss lenses. I wonder if the Sony has not a somewhat narrower DR than the D3 but i may be wrong of course.

fotografz

My only real complaint about the A900 so far is the flash compensation ... best you can do is use the CF button to access the menu and then leave the setting on flash comp so you can return to it more quickly than scrolling. It's still a huge PITA and needs to be addressed ... hopefully with firmware.

douglasf13

fotografz, hopefully Sony will fix this so the rear wheel can control it. In the meantime, another way to get to it is hit the Exposure comp button on top, then joystick once down. Or, use the fn button to select on rear screen.

ps. To do the first option, you have to change the menu options to quick navi. I don't have the camera in front of me right now, so I don't remember the exact nomenclature.

deepdiver

Were you using the 58 to trigger the other flashes? If so, I'm curious how well it worked outside, any misfires, etc.
Hi Jeff,
Yes I was using 58 to trigger the other flashes. It was OK, only few times misfires :)
Same thing with Nikon CLS.
One thing that really bother me about sony wireless lighting.
It's the power set-up
It's really hard to control the power of the light.
In Sony Wireless lighting system, they are using RATIO, such as 1:1 , 1:2 , 1:4 up to 1:16
or 2:1, 4:1
This is really confusing :(
I prefer Nikon's style, it much more simpler. I just need to adjust the power by set the power to +1, +2 or +3

deepdiver

Talking about the Dynamic Range.
I love the DR from A900, it's really nice :) to my inexperience eyes i think the DR of A900 is wider than D3 or at least as good as D3.

Hi Robmac, Sorry I don't really understand ur question. Therefore, please don't be mad if I'm answer your question incorrectly.

A lot of people said A900 lower max iso (100) has a wider DR than Iso 200. To be honest I haven't notice the differences until today :|
However since a lot of people said that, it's better for me to iso 100 as many as I could :)

Hi Bondo, I'm Glad that my EXIF is useful for you. I think we have the same hobby!! which is looking at the EXIF of the pics hahahaa :p

Eoin

A lot of people said A900 lower max iso (100) has a wider DR than Iso 200.
I don't doubt what others are saying, but Sony make a direct statement about ISO 100 having slightly less DR. It's in the manual, page 74 in the notes, The available luminosity limits for an image (dynamic range) are a little narrower in the range less than ISO 200.

I would like to ask a question if I may regarding shooting raw and the D-Range Optimizer and or Custom Styles. With my conventional thinking cap on I would have thought that neither of these settings would have any effect on raw files, but I'm thrown by the statements

"for enlarged raw images, the effects of the D-Range optimizer other than D-R (standard) can not be checked on the camera." P80

and with the custom styles, which I suspect only apply to Jpgs

(Neutral) "The saturation and sharpness are lowered for capturing images in a quiet tone, This is also suitable for capturing image material to be modified with a computer". P81

Are these two settings having an effect on the raw image, particularly Custom Styles with sharpness and vividness?.

Lovely images BTW, I know it's early days, but which 135 do you think will be your favorite?.

robmac

Andre - No worries.

I was just curious as to how useful A900 owners were finding the in-camera anti-shake (AS) helpful in stretching the cameras useful ISO limits - the A900 not being knows to be as noise free at higher ISOs as say the 5DII or D3x.

The idea being you could shoot at a lower ISO with the 900 using AS with shorter FL lenses such as the 138/1.8 than you could under the same circumstances at the same ISO using say the 5DII and 135/2 - thus somewhat negating the need for the higher-ISO capabilities (with still subjects of course.) with the 900.