The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's in the bag or, "How do you carry all that stuff?"...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This question comes up pretty often and I thought it might be interesting to open up a thread about it.

My main bag is the Domke J803. Inside is a modified 4-compartment insert for a Domke F2 which sits in the middle of the bag leaving 2 large compartments at the outer edges. These larger outer compartments each contain an M8 body, one usually with the 28 Cron mounted and ready, the other usually with the 50 Summilux mounted and ready, or sometimes the 21 depending on the subject/area I'm photographing.

The bag is deep, so the four inner lens compartments will each hold 2 normal M lenses pretty easily. I have used foam padding to separate them top from bottom, but more recently I have taken to gluing Leica M rear lens-caps back-to-back (b2b) and mounting one at each end. This also gives you a third hand when swapping lenses, since you always have a free and supported cap at the ready when you're swapping lenses. My usual pairings in the 4 inner slots are, 1) the 75 Lux with one end free for the 50 Lux (the lens I usually the lens I swap it with); 2) the 21 with one end free for the 28 Cron (the lens I usually swap it with); 3) the 12mm CV b2b with the 35 Cron Cron since these are less-often used lenses; and 4) finally the 90 Cron with an open end for whatever lens I may swap it out with. If need be, I can then mount the 12 on the back of the 75 and the 35 Cron on the back of the 90 and free up a slot for two more lenses if I really need them for a shoot. The ample pockets carry lenscloths, pen, pad, 4 spare batteries, 8 spare SD cards, filters and flash.

My second bag is the regular Domke F803. This bag is just enough smaller than the J803 that it is perfect for a one-body, 4-lens travel kit with room left over in the main compartment for a second body or water bottle and snack. The pockets hold similar to above.

That's my current solution...

Here's a link to a larger image of it loaded:

Here is the b2b cap:

S

Shootist

The bag is a Lowepro Nova 4 AW. What's in it is.
21CV M-Mount, 24 Elmarit ASPH, 28 Elmarit ASPH, 35 CronASPH, 50 Lux ASPH (lives on the camera), 75 Cron ASPH and 90 Tele-Elamrit. And of course 1 M8. Although today there is also a M3 and a 40mm Cron-C and 2 light meter, a Leica MR and a Sekonic Twinmate.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My bag is an A&A Oscar. I am going to have to look around for something bigger. I love the Oscar design, but I'm busting at the seams. It holds my M8 with 28 cron mounted, M6 with 35 cron mounted, CV 50 f/1.5, CV 15 and 90 cron. I have a Gossen Luna pro, SF 24D, whi-bal card, 4 batteries, film and expodisc in the pockets. My 21, 75 lux, and noctilux would get switched in as needed. I use a Domke for my Canon kit, but do like the form-factor of the Oskar better. I may need to buy the Oskar's big brother soon.

Jack,
What are you using to glue the lens caps together? That sounds like a good plan for keeping things organized.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Jack

Have used Fogg bags a long time in many sizes(I know, it's a disease!). They hold a lot and offer great protection for all that glass. Recently tried an Oscar day bag which I also like especially for it's stealthiness. But will stick with Fogg as THE bag. On flights tho, the Pelican with wheels is a good choice.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My story is too long winded and have get to a shooting job. But i will answer this tomorrow, thought i had lens disease . It ain't nothing compared to bags. ( bad english and all )

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the Domke J803 also, but not for M gear. I've used it the past 2 years for a Canon 20D. I can fit the 80-200L (Magic Drainpipe) in the included single insert sans hood plus the camera with one lens mounted plus another lens in its lens pouch (nested in the 80-200 hood) under the camera. It's a tight fit but it works.

I recently used the Domke J803 for a Europe trip while you Guys were in Yosemite and carried the R9/DMR in it with 35 Cron mounted, plus the 28mm, and 60mm. It managed well.

My usual bag for the DMR is the Bilingham 106 Media System, which is quite small for the DMR but I like to travel light. The insert in the 106 has 2 slots and I can carry the 180 Elmarit in one plus 2 smaller lenses stacked in the other with a fourth mounted on the camera. I usually only carry 2 or 3 lenses though. Room in the pockets for 2 spare batteries plus SD cards, cable release. Not much else.

T

texasrancher

One of the main reasons I decided to make the move to manual rangefinder focussing was to limit the bulk of gear that I would have to haul to cover a typical shoot. The success of this move is being jeopardized by the my rapid infection with the well documented Mancuso Lens Whore Disease whereby whatever space you have is not quite enough to hold next week's delivery of the latest, greatest Leica, Zeiss, CV lens or accessory - golfers are known to succumb to a similar malady whereby the equipment procurer is immediately seduced by the concept that the only thing holding him back is not a lack of talent, but simply a lack of having exactly the right tool for the job at hand. Sound familiar, Leica buffs? I have managed to overstuff a rather compact Fogg bag with an M8 with mounted 28mm 'cron, WATE & finder, 50mm 'cron, 75mm 'lux, 90mm Macro & 135mm tele-elmar. The attached accessory pouch carries the Leica universal polarizer plus 60mm & 67mm polarizers & the Leica 24D flash. Since I am still lusting after a 4th vers 35mm 'cron, somethings gotta give!

Terry

Now I can answer, as the answer changed a few minutes ago. Bag is a Domke F-5XB. Small on purpose. Had A&A but like the zipper and flap instead of just flap a bit better. Split into 3 sections. Middle: body+28 'cron, side cv15 and 50 'cron, side 90 elmar and perhaps cv21. Space between padding and front of bag extra battery a bunch of SD cards and a small little Luna light meter. The bag is decptive and can hold a lot. I can also still fit a flash in it. During the day with camera out, in goes passport cell phone etc. in the center section.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
What are you using to glue the lens caps together? That sounds like a good plan for keeping things organized.

Hi Cindy:

I've now made up 4 sets of these. I sand the rear of the caps perfectly flat using a fairly coarse paper to make the surface rough, then use contact cement to bond them together. I also take the extra time to line the caps up so the red lens dots can line up when two lenses are mouted, but that's just cosmetic.

On the glue, contact cement needs to set before the two pieces are stuck together, so make sure you follow the instructions closely, use a thin layer on each surface and allow them to "skin over" before sticking them together. If you do, the caps are essentially permanently bonded, yet the little bit of excess glue that seeped out the seam can be rubbed off. A good alternative would be a quick-set epoxy. I'd stay away from super-glue as the fumes can leave a permanent, ugly white stain on exposed plastic, and normal plastic household glue may not be strong enough.

Cheers,

David K

Workshop Member
Jack,
That's the cleverest idea I've heard in a long while. I'm always missing a third hand when swapping lenses.

David

Guy Mancuso

Cindy suggestion use leica caps, i just bought some generic ones and honestly there junk and just don't stay on very well to the lens. There not cheap though 29 dollars for a rear cap.

Guy Mancuso

Okay i will step in . i am a man of many bags it is like the shoe fetish that women have at least i can speak for the both wives i have had. The current one must have a hidden closet somewhere in this house, she certainly has 10 times the lenses i have or more. And there NOT cheap either. Anyway i started out the M system with the A&A bags both the Image Smith and the Oscar One day. Really nice bags and i thought and still do the Oscar one day is a clear winner for the M system. So i went to see Jack in Yosemite a couple weeks ago to do the workshop and I was looking at his bags and damn if i did not completely switch to Domke the J 803 i can hold my entire lens system and it has a handle which i really like the Image Smith did not have that so the Image smith was replaced with this bag. Now what i do is back to back lens caps on the 12 and 15 than i wrap them with Op-tech wrap and stick that on the bottom of the bag and on top of that goes a M8 with the 28 cron. Than the 4 pockets . I can put a 135 in one slot the 90 in another. Than the 50 and 35 I am going to make another back to back lens cap and put that in a slot. Than the 75 lux in a slot so 5 lens in the 4 pockets. Than one the other side another M8 with a 21 elmarit attached . Than the front pockets get 4 batteries and a level , the other pocket get Whibal card , Sd card holder and other junk. Than on the flap on the inside some cables . Than on the outside there are two small pockets which i keep my Alien wrenches and lens cloths.

Now if you do the math here there are 2 M8's , 12,15,21,28,35,50,75,90,135 plus other junk in one bag that carries it all. Perfect for travel and for large shoots. Now if i need I can lay a metz 54 on top of it all. Now the new Zeiss 18mm i may just use a wrap and put under the other M8. Now that is everything but really i don't always do that. Than i bought a F803 which if I really needed too i can hook them together and the airlines would consider that one bag. Sneaky is it not. Plus the F803 replaced the Oscar one day which will Hold a M8 plus up to 6 lenses. I stole Jacks when in Yosemite and really loved that bag also. Plus it does not scream CAMERA INSIDE. So a nice street bag. Now am i done, when are we ever done with bags. LOL

Attachments

Terry

women with the M system are really in trouble because we start out with both a shoe and bag problem.

I started with the Oscar Day Bag. As you said, very nice. However, I now am using the Domke F-5XB. Looks smaller but holds a ton and I feel more secure with the zipper closure. I like the zipper pocket on front flap better on the Oscar and hope Domke will do that in the future. I took the hand strap from the Oscar and attached it to the Domke.

jonoslack

Well, I'm a bag fetishist as well.
I've got loads, but I keep coming back to Billingham.
My favorite is a 'Small Hadley' it really is small, but perfectly formed! I've actually sewn a padded divider right in the middle, the frankenfinder then goes on the bottom on one side, with an M8 body and lens sideways on (so that the shorter left hand end of the body tucks between the central divider and the frankenfinder case.
The other side has a half height divider crossways in the middle, which will take a lens each side, then a sideways divider attached at one end which acts as a flap over the top. I can then fit in another body on top with a small lens attached, or else redivide and put on two more lenses.

So I either have two bodies with lens attached +2 lenses, or 1 body plus 4 lenses - the front flaps give me room for a removable 260gb 2.1/2" backup drive on one side, telephone, ipod and extra batteries and SD cards on the other.

And it's all REALLY small.

When travelling I use a Crumpler Farmer's double rucksack - this takes a 17" powerbook / cables / book etc. in the top compartment, and the bottom compartment fits . . . . . . . the Billingham Small Hadley with all the gear in it. This means that when I get to destination I can just slip the Small Hadley out and leave the laptop and rucksack behind.

Hooray!

J

Jamie Roberts

I use a sling bag that I love; the Tamrac Velocity 9

http://www.tamrac.com/5749.htm

It's brilliant. I can carry:
  • M8 body
  • 5d body
  • 21, 24 elmarits
  • 35lux
  • Nocti
  • 75lux & 90 cron
  • 80R in side bag
  • Canon 50 1.2
  • Canon 70-200L in side bag
  • SD and CF cards in pixel pocket rocket
  • spare camera batteries, WB stuff
  • Sekonic meter
  • 580 flash

That's a lot of stuff for one sling. Of course, the 5d, the 580 and the M8 get transferred to my neck when shooting, but it's always amazing to me how much stuff I can put in that bag. Of course, the M lenses are tiny; even the nocti is small compared with the 50 1.2L.

When not shooting, the M8 just sits on top of the 5d with a 21 attached to it. It's sweet, if a little heavy at times :)

The DMR and the film cameras have their own Lowepro bags, but they don't come out to play as often during the event usually (depends on stuff like weather and time).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
women with the M system are really in trouble because we start out with both a shoe and bag problem.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stick with black on everything all the time and you're good! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!