The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a900 and the 100/2.8 macro

G

gtmerideth

I'm sure you all are tired of seeing me and my attempts at bokeh. I, however, live in the land of brown grass, dirty snow and bare trees, called Colorado.
Fact is, it's all dead. Anyhow, here are my efforts with the 100/2.8.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Gary, they are very, very beautiful.
In fact I think the earth colors make my favourite color palette if you have an eye to make captures like these.
Steen

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi edwardkaraa, nice to see you on this forum as well :thumbup:
Also nice to see the SonyZeiss team grow, I'm really tempted to follow along.
Looking forward to see your images. Welcome onboard.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Splendid Gary
These are lovely - great colours and feel.
I really like the lens as well, in fact, it's good bokeh has saved me (for now) from the 135 STF

G

gtmerideth

Thanks Jono,
We are all in your debt and appreciate what you started. An a900 group
which has just grown from your enthusiasm for the product.

By the way, who is that handsome gent in your new avatar?

Again, I thank you.
gary

jonoslack

Thanks Jono,
We are all in your debt and appreciate what you started. An a900 group
which has just grown from your enthusiasm for the product.

By the way, who is that handsome gent in your new avatar?

Again, I thank you.
gary
Hi Gary
Thank you - but maybe the thanks should go to Dave at LCE in Norwich. He's the one that thrust an A900 into my hands and told me to go and 'play' with it for a couple of hours!

You mean the silly old fool? that's me sucking my teeth (especially for CAM!)

It's a pleasure being around here - we all learn so much, it's great if someone has learned something back from me!

edwardkaraa

Hi edwardkaraa, nice to see you on this forum as well :thumbup:
Also nice to see the SonyZeiss team grow, I'm really tempted to follow along.
Looking forward to see your images. Welcome onboard.
Thank you very much bondo for your welcome :) I was using a 1Ds2 and 13 adapted Contax lenses until something snapped about 10 days ago and I bought the A900 and all 3 Zeiss lenses :cool: I am selling the other gear at the moment and hope to start posting some photos soon.

G

gtmerideth

That's great Edward.

The Contax equipment kept me happy for years. Then when Jono showed us how wonderful the Sony was I had to get with the program.

welcome,
gary

edwardkaraa

Thanks Gary :)

I was in fact planning to get the A900 since it was announced, but was put off by the noise reports. Then I went to a Sony showroom and played with it, and I couldn't resist the temptation :D I believe it is the worthy successor of the Contax ND system. I'm very happy so far with the new set up.

Cheers,
Edward

dhsimmonds

It's good to see the A900 group growing and I would like to add my own gratitude to Jono for showing us the way. I have just added the 70-300 G series lens and the 100 macro will be next!:)

Jono what are your thoughts about the Zeiss 16-35 compared with the Sigma
12-24 which gets good reviews, apart from the price difference that is!

G

gtmerideth

Ah... The ND. Closest system to that which we hold in our hands today.
Six MP and great glass that could do any job you wanted. A fond memory.
gary

jonoslack

It's good to see the A900 group growing and I would like to add my own gratitude to Jono for showing us the way. I have just added the 70-300 G series lens and the 100 macro will be next!:)

Jono what are your thoughts about the Zeiss 16-35 compared with the Sigma
12-24 which gets good reviews, apart from the price difference that is!
Hi David
Well, thanks for the thanks! I'm enjoying mine as well. As for the 16-35, I want it really badly . . . but I can't quite bring myself to spend the money, the 24-70 does cover a lot of bases, and for those very wide moments the Sigma does a pretty good job. Added to which, there's a big difference between 12 and 16mm; I certainly wouldn't want to carry all three lenses around (together with the lovely 70-300 G), and I'm not sure that the sigma wouldn't serve me better for most purposes.

At the moment I'm pending.

jonoslack

That's great Edward.

The Contax equipment kept me happy for years. Then when Jono showed us how wonderful the Sony was I had to get with the program.

welcome,
gary
HI Gary
I lusted after that Contax gear, I used to have an RTSII and then an RX, but I could never afford the N digital. For me the A900 is the successor to the Kodak SLR/n, a flawed gem as far as I was concerned, the A900 has nearly all of it's virtues and none of it's vices!

Quentin_Bargate

If you weaken, Jono, and get the Zeiss 16-35mm, do let us know :)

My view is the Zeiss 24-70mm is a superb lens, possibly the best zoom I have ever owned. The Sigma 12-24mm nonetheless does a great job for the occasions when 24mm is not wide enough, which is not often.

Here is one from the Sigma @15mm taken today for stock

jonoslack

If you weaken, Jono, and get the Zeiss 16-35mm, do let us know :)

My view is the Zeiss 24-70mm is a superb lens, possibly the best zoom I have ever owned. The Sigma 12-24mm nonetheless does a great job for the occasions when 24mm is not wide enough, which is not often.
Hi Quentin
That's lovely - I think we're in the same situation on this one.

anyone, here's one from the 100mm macro:

picman

It's good to see the A900 group growing ...
Hi all!

+1 ... as I just collected my A900 with the CZ 24-70. I come from Contax RTS II (with Carl Zeiss lenses 28/2, 60macro/2.8 and 100/2, still have - and will keep - everything) and feel really at home with my new toy :).

Cheers, Bob.