The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro while using Silverfast problem

Greg Lockrey

I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro and I am new to Mac's in general. My problem is trying to install the Silverfast disc that came with my Epson 10000xl and 750V. It installed but when I try to use it, a window comes up asking where to choose the plugin folder. How do you do that? I did manage to load it on the "Windows" side and am able to use it via Parrallels. Any thoughts? I would like to be able to use it without going to Windows.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm guessing that it wants to install it in the Plug-ins folder for Photoshop so you can activate your scanner from within PS. When asked, navigate to your Applications folder, pick the CS3 Photoshop folder (or your version of Photoshop) and inside it you'll find a folder labeled "Plug-Ins". Once you've finished installing the software, you can access Silverfast by selecting "Import" from the PS "File" drop down menu.

Greg Lockrey

I'm guessing that it wants to install it in the Plug-ins folder for Photoshop so you can activate your scanner from within PS. When asked, navigate to your Applications folder, pick the CS3 Photoshop folder (or your version of Photoshop) and inside it you'll find a folder labeled "Plug-Ins". Once you've finished installing the software, you can access Silverfast by selecting "Import" from the PS "File" drop down menu.
The problem is that my current version of Photoshop is Windows, so I have it parked there. I was hoping I cold use it as a stand alone like I did with my Dell. I can use it that way when I'm in Parallel (Window's).

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you trying to run Silverfast as a stand alone (not from within PS) on the Mac side? Maybe someone here with more Silverfast experience could help. Sorry.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just dealt with this myself for my 4990, so maybe some is applicable... First off, SF 6.4.4 is NOT fully compatible with Leopard and the plug in will not load properly inside CS --- it loads, but is not recognized by CS. BUT, I did get the stand-alone to run. To make SF work, the trick is you have to log on to your Mac as "root", then install the program. Once I did that, you can log in normally and it works. If you want the plug-in to work, you have to pay for the 6.5 upgrade...

PS: It's a major hassle, but Adobe will swap your WIn CS license over to a Mac version if you jump through all their hoops.

Greg Lockrey

There things about this Mac that's going to take getting used to. I like Qimage a lot and I don't have any real issue with using Windows for Silverfast either. I'll learn.:)