The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Learning curve

robsteve

Subscriber
Jaap:

I would update to the latest firmware. The 1.3 firmware is very good with only a minor bug. I would skip the 1.2 firmware.

With version 1.3, we go almost M8 quality higher ISO settings. The onlt bug I could find in firmware 1.3 is if you use the histogram function and try scrolling around in a zoomed image before the zoomed image has been built. There may be a glitch with M8 formatted cards in the DMR hanging it, but Leica wasn't able to replicate it, so it may just have been my card.

Robert

doug

I could not agree more with the magnifier suggestion. Made a world of difference with my DMR.
Are you guys using the second version of the magnifier? I was underwhelmed by the performance of the first version.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Is it normal that the SF24D flash blocks the camera in TTL/GNC mode? It does work in A mode. Oh- and thanks for the reactions. Keep them coming :)

robsteve

Subscriber
Jaap:

The DMR does not do TTL, so if you are using a R9, it will block the TTL function. The R8 didn't have the capability to do this.

TTL doesn't work very well off the shiny surface of the ccd, so Leica chose to disable it when a DMR was mounted to the R9.

robsteve

Subscriber
Are you guys using the second version of the magnifier? I was underwhelmed by the performance of the first version.
Doug:

If you are handy with tools, the Nikon magnifier is almost a perfect option on the DMR. You will have to sacrifice an eyecup to make the round hole for the Nikon magnifier, but is works well and gives you just a touch more than the DMR cropped view.

Robert

doug

Doug:

If you are handy with tools, the Nikon magnifier is almost a perfect option on the DMR. You will have to sacrifice an eyecup to make the round hole for the Nikon magnifier, but is works well and gives you just a touch more than the DMR cropped view.

Robert
Can you post a picture? Coming from a couple decades of using an SL, the R8's VF is the one very big thing that keeps me from total enthusiasm for the camera.

EH21

I went the nikon route as well, but before that had a minolta eyepiece magnifier as well which was even easier as it just slipped onto my R8. Worked great but I lost it somewhere while shooting. I agree that the Brightscreen magnifier was certainly underwhelming considering the cost and long delivery times. I waited and waited for the Brightsceen as they kept saying they were going to be able to cut eyeglass prescriptions into them, but they never did. I tried a friend's and sure am happy I didn't get it. The brightscreen does not come with diopter correction so you have to rely on what's on the camera - so if you need more than about -1 you'll have to get an additional diopter correction optic to fit in between.

In addition to the nikon, it's also possible to find older flip up style magnifiers for out of production cameras for pretty cheap and then fit those to the Leica if you find you need more magnification.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Jaap:

The DMR does not do TTL, so if you are using a R9, it will block the TTL function. The R8 didn't have the capability to do this.

TTL doesn't work very well off the shiny surface of the ccd, so Leica chose to disable it when a DMR was mounted to the R9.
Thanks, Rob. I found the MZ3 has similar problems. Now I have to figure out how to keep the MZ3 from overexposing consistently in manual/automatic mode.:(

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I'm wondering. Apart from RAW and the usual Jpeg formats the DMR offers various levels of TIFF. Is there any advantage there?

robsteve

Subscriber
The only advantage I could see for shooting tiff or Jpeg would be a case where you needed the photos right away and didn't have access to RAW software.

Robert

doug

I'm wondering. Apart from RAW and the usual Jpeg formats the DMR offers various levels of TIFF. Is there any advantage there?
I thought it was varying levels of jpg? Like Robert wrote, they're an advantage primarily for quick results & when you don't have access to a RAW converter. My opinion? Use RAW to see the full beauty of the DMR's files.

David K

Workshop Member
I shoot almost exclusively RAW but find when I'm shooting in manual mode with consistent studio lights properly metered, set the camera WB to 5600K, the Jpeg's are more than adequate (for my needs). Everything else I shoot RAW.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To clarify, the DMR offers 4 compression rates or file formats: RAW, TIFF, JPEG FINE, & JPEG BASIC
It also offers 4 settings for resoultion: 3872 x 2576, 2896 x 1920, 1920 x 1280, & 1280 x 848
When set to RAW only 3872 x 2576 is available
When set to TIFF, JPEG FINE, or JPEG BASIC, all 4 resolution settings are available

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Raw and Jpeg, of course I know. Buy why TIFF. It eats card space and offers no advantage over RAW that I can see.

gogopix

Subscriber
I'm picking up my DMR today. Any first tips from experienced users?

Dear Jaap

I thought I remembered DMR images from you? No?then they were Viso (yes?)

Anyway, a great system - just think of it as a primitive M "Viso" with internal release coupling!
If I remember the Viso images correctly, you will have little trouble nailing great shots in R world.

regards
Victor