The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 16-35/2.8: RUN don't Walk !!!!

fotografz

The Zeiss 16-35/2.8 arrived a few minutes ago. I whipped it out, stuck it on the second A900 I just bought for this summer's wedding schedule and zoomed around the house snapping anything I could.

PHENOMENAL optic :thumbs:

Almost no CA at all even shooting edges against a completely whited out window ... a touch of barrel, but well controlled for a 16mm zoom, sharp corners ... again especially for a zoom. Zeiss color and contrast. Slight vignetting but very little IMO, not very dark so easily corrected if desired. Need for it to get sunny out to check flare.

Focuses very close, with the front element very close to the subject. Focuses quick, quiet and sure ... much better than my noisy old Zeiss/Contax N17-35/2.8, and the images look snappier (probably due to the A900 more than the optics).

Build quality is Zeiss all the way ... perfect mate to the 24-70/2.8.

Attached 4 shots done with the 16-35.

Expensive, but so far looks to be worth every penny.

Also picked up a Sony 500/8 mirror ... this is the only AF mirror I've ever seen. I knew that Minolta had made the Leica R 500 mirror, and liked the color rendition of that lens for certain subjects, but it was a bear to use ... on the A900 it's a whole new ballgame ... with SSS and AF this is a much more usable solution for that extra reach without a huge lens. Very nice color and contrast ... just like the Leica version.

Attached 1 shot with the 500 mirror...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You know your what we called the hot girls in high school that would not go out with you but there was a certain name us boy's called them. I think you know the phrase blank teaser. I hope your on the floor laughing your *** off with that one. Love ya man, this is killing me.

jlm

Workshop Member
any taek on what spin-offs zeiss may have in the works for this lens on other cameras?

douglasf13

any taek on what spin-offs zeiss may have in the works for this lens on other cameras?
AFAIK, the design of the ZA lenses is completely separate from the ZF/ZE, so I doubt we'll see a comparable lens for other mounts anytime soon. Even the ZA 85 has a different design with more elements when compared to 85 ZF/ZE.

picman

Congratulations on the new lens!

I was gonna go for the 135/1.8 as the first "second lens" (just got my A900 + 24/70 for a week, WOW!) but I am leaning towards the 16-35 even more now (seen many pictures and reviews on other sites too).

In that respect a question: do you think there is a chance that the 135 would be upgraded to have SSM sometime soon (ever)?

Thanks for your thoughts, cheers, Bob

LJL

Marc,
These are looking really nice right out of the box. Have to say, this A900 coupled with some of this new Zeiss glass is looking very impressive.

LJ

LJL

Something else I want to check into at PMA is this system
In this case, the impressiveness of this camera may not be "system" as much as it is integration with impressive Zeiss glass, plus some Sony glass like the 70-200 f2.8G. It does look like one can put together some very impressive kit that may not break the bank as much as trying and not getting as close with something from Nikon (D3X) or Canon (1DsMkIII) alone. May not be the high ISO champ, but with these nice Zeiss lenses, the A900 is turning out some very nice looking, detailed images with great color. Hard to ignore this baby.

LJ

fotografz

I was gonna go for the 135/1.8 as the first "second lens" (just got my A900 + 24/70 for a week, WOW!) but I am leaning towards the 16-35 even more now (seen many pictures and reviews on other sites too).

In that respect a question: do you think there is a chance that the 135 would be upgraded to have SSM sometime soon (ever)?

I have no idea. It's a pretty new lens, so who knows when somethiong like that would happen. I hadn't noticed any AF lag ... IF probably helps that.

fotografz

In this case, the impressiveness of this camera may not be "system" as much as it is integration with impressive Zeiss glass, plus some Sony glass like the 70-200 f2.8G. It does look like one can put together some very impressive kit that may not break the bank as much as trying and not getting as close with something from Nikon (D3X) or Canon (1DsMkIII) alone. May not be the high ISO champ, but with these nice Zeiss lenses, the A900 is turning out some very nice looking, detailed images with great color. Hard to ignore this baby.

LJ
Yeah, that's the argument I forwarded to the wifey ... I showed her the D3X price tag, and then the A900 ... "Why, I could get 2 Sony's and have money left over." (which I did). I failed to mention the lens prices ... at least for now. ;)

douglasf13

I have a feeling that the Zeiss primes are gonna remain screw drive, and the SSM lenses will be the zooms, but who knows?

picman

Thanks for your ideas. No reason to postpone getting the 135 then I guess :)

Cheers, Bob.

PS There actually was a rumor about this in a french magazine quite some time ago, hence my question.

Last edited:

Eoin

I'm loving the 135, simply outstanding. The 85 which I got earlier this week does not excite as much as the 135, still an excellent lens but seems to have lots of purple fringing. Time will tell but the 135 is special.

fotografz

This makes me look forward to my 16-35. Should be arriving soon :)
Yeah, I think you are going to like it. I can't wait to use it for something "real".

This is an important lens for my wedding work. I get crammed into small dressing rooms and bathrooms where the bride is getting ready, and I sometimes need a field of view greater than the 24-70 provides. Plus I use a wide zoom for over-all shots of the church and reception where detail is very important.

I think the build quality of these lenses is remarkable ... especially these days. I personally find them even better than the Leica R lenses like the 28-90 I recently owned, and that's saying something. Quite thoughtful design, and a delight in hand. It's been awhile since I could say that.

Now all we need is a new formula Zeiss AF 35/1.4 ASPH and we'll be all set. Well, a Zeiss APO macro would hurt either :rolleyes:. Eventually, Sony may have to offer a T/S solution to be taken seriously as a Pro system. But that is of no matter to me as I don't use a 35mm DSLR for that type work.