The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRDll Blackened White

clay stewart

I somehow feel like I'm cheating, when I make images from JPEG, since I started shooting exclusively in RAW, a few years ago. I need to get over this, because there seems to be many times, that I can't make a better B&W conversion than the GRD11 or even the GX100 does with a little tweeking, afterward and I've really tried. I can't seem to articulate exactly when my RAWS are better, if it's the light or ISO or aperture setting, but every now and then, I see that I get a better tonal range or more of a high contrast look, using the RAW. Anyway, here's a few. The first and third are conversions from RAW and I think most of the others are JPEGS that were tweeked a bit.

Last edited:
V

VladimirV

Great pictures, I think the 2nd picture is great.

The GRD I is producing very good b&w jpgs so I don't even bother using RAW for b&w images as I always end up with a similar image to what the camera gives me. For the GRD II I'd use RAW and the convert just to get rid of the NR smoothing of jpgs. The tonality is very good in all your pictures, the RAW pictures just seems slightly sharper and less smooth than the jpgs.

clay stewart

Great pictures, I think the 2nd picture is great.

The GRD I is producing very good b&w jpgs so I don't even bother using RAW for b&w images as I always end up with a similar image to what the camera gives me. For the GRD II I'd use RAW and the convert just to get rid of the NR smoothing of jpgs. The tonality is very good in all your pictures, the RAW pictures just seems slightly sharper and less smooth than the jpgs.
Thanks Vladimir.:) I've seen people writing about the smoothing in jpeg, but to be honest, I haven't really noticed it. I guess I should pay closer attention.

Thanks for the kind words Helen.:)

cam

gorgeous tones, clay! i always enjoy your shots.

i have to second VladimirV's point on the JPEG artifacts (the smoothing doesn't bother me near as much). i do tend to shoot mostly JPEG and when there are large chunks of the same colour, you notice it the most. it frustrates me as it seems like it would be an easy firmware fix from Ricoh by just turning the noise reduction *all the way off.*

because it is not currently(even when you set it to that), the JPEGs are harder to sharpen as aggressively as either the original or the GRDII's RAW files. this is mostly due to the artifacts. this also goes for the tonal range (where i suspect the smoothing comes into play). that said, on selective images where i have shot RAW, i've found the same thing as you.

if they would just turn the NR OFF altogether and let us deal with it how we choose, i would be ecstatic with the JPEGs on the GRFII. i suspect the difference between RAW and JPEG at that point would be very small indeed.

V

VladimirV

Thanks Vladimir.:) I've seen people writing about the smoothing in jpeg, but to be honest, I haven't really noticed it. I guess I should pay closer attention.
You will not really notice it as it's similar to most other cameras but if you know the jpg output from the GRD I and especially the b&w output you'll notice it more. Guess that's why most complains regarding the NR are from GRD I users.

clay stewart

gorgeous tones, clay! i always enjoy your shots.

i have to second VladimirV's point on the JPEG artifacts (the smoothing doesn't bother me near as much). i do tend to shoot mostly JPEG and when there are large chunks of the same colour, you notice it the most. it frustrates me as it seems like it would be an easy firmware fix from Ricoh by just turning the noise reduction *all the way off.*

because it is not currently(even when you set it to that), the JPEGs are harder to sharpen as aggressively as either the original or the GRDII's RAW files. this is mostly due to the artifacts. this also goes for the tonal range (where i suspect the smoothing comes into play). that said, on selective images where i have shot RAW, i've found the same thing as you.

if they would just turn the NR OFF altogether and let us deal with it how we choose, i would be ecstatic with the JPEGs on the GRFII. i suspect the difference between RAW and JPEG at that point would be very small indeed.
Thanks for the kind words Cam. All this makes me want to try the original GRD to see what I'm missing.:)

L

Lewis

Man these pictures are awesome...really love them. Where abouts were they taken?