The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900, the outdoor cam (Paris Dakar)

LJL

If you have ever covered something like an outdoor equestrian event, the dust is almost as thick. I have routinely come back to my truck with everything a uniform tan color from the dust, me included. Hard to escape it. The rain on the camera is also familiar, especially down here in the Texas swamp during rainy season. The A900 and the Zeiss 24-70 look like they held up, from what the guy reports, and that is very good news. As I mentioned in another note, it sure would be nice for Sony and Zeiss to talk a bit more about just how weather sealed their stuff is/is not. I think the folks that took the gear to Antarctica were probably pleased, but after a lot of nervousness until they saw things keep working. It would be nice to have some good knowledge beforehand from the manufacturers as to what it can/cannot take, rather than spending and finding out the hard way. Not complaining....just wishing for a bit more data/info. If the A900 is that sealed, Sony should be telling folks that. If the Zeiss lenses can hold up to that much dust and moisture, that would be nice to know also. And then there is the link between lens and camera. At least I can see the rubber gaskets on my Canon L lenses, and I know they stop a lot.

LJ

Lars

I had the opportunity to shoot Baja Mil, the offroad race from Ensenada down to the southern tip of Baja California, in November 2006. Standing about 5 meters from the road, My D2X with 80-200/2.8D got a lot dustier than the A900 in the link above. I was very careful with covering the lens front (and my eyes), apart from that the dust fell where it fell.