The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New, but strange, Sony lens preview

douglasf13

Sony has given a preview to some upcoming lenses at PMA. It's a rather strange mix of FF and APS-C. I have a feeling that they're all going to be SSM, but we'll see.

Fullframe:

1) "Supertelephoto" (Maybe a 400/4 or 500/4??)
2) 28-75 2.8 (doesn't look to be just a Tamron rebadge, IMO.)

APS-C

1) 50mm 1.8 (strange that it's aps-c)
2) 30mm 2.8 Macro (???)
3) 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens (much needed, but unambitious)
4) 55-200m f4-5.6 (replacing an already existing lens. maybe because of SSM?)

As an A900 user who doesn't shoot wildlife and owns the 24-70Z, I'm a little underwhelmed, but I guess Sony needed to fill out some lower end gaps. Where are those Zeiss primes they showed last year? :wtf:

edwardkaraa

That looks like an impressive Supertelephoto :bugeyes:

Not that I need one but it's good to know that it's available. Judging from the pricing of the 300/2.8, I prefer not to know the price tag of this one though :D

douglasf13

Yeah, if we're talking a 500 f4, I'd say at least $6K. I'm ALMOST starting to get used to the silver color of the new telephotos.

douglasf13

What would be the point of a 28-75 2.8? The telephoto looks just like the minolta 300 2.8 doesn't it?
I'm assuming Sony wants a cheaper lens for those that can't swing the 24-70ZA. The 28-75 looks like it has SSM (i think i see a AF/MF switch,) so that would be an improvement over the old Minolta or Tamron version.

That new tele is definitely longer than the 300mm.

fotografz

Holy Moly ... are ALL of these camera companies asleep at the wheel?

Ya can't get a couple of primes out of Nikon to save yer life.

And here we have a Sony Baloney 500mm ... and no new 35/1.4, 28/2 or a Zeiss AF100/2 Macro that someone could actually use.

We have A900s to feed here ... Grrrr :angry:

douglasf13

Agreed. It looks like Sony is taking care of some low end issues, which makes sense, considering the A350 is the reason they're in the #3 slot. I sure wanted to see some more Zeiss primes, though. Take this with a grain of salt, but the guy (who supposedly is in the know) who said that tele is a 500/4.5 is saying that summer will be the better time for A900 users. We'll see. This PMA was good for my bank account :)