The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using lens shades?

edwardkaraa

Just wondering if you guys shoot with the lens shades on. I tried it with my ZA lenses for a short while but the shades are big, heavy (85 and 135 lenses) and take a lot of space in the bag. I have been shooting without them for a week and enjoying it.

dhsimmonds

I usually use the lenshoods on all my lenses when shooting outside. I only remove them when shooting flash (very rarely) indoors. The Zeiss hoods are very large I must admit, but they wrap nicely around the lens barrel when in the bag.

Do you use filters? Another age old question! I use UV's on all my lenses and only B & W or Heliopan never Hoya or similar makes.

edwardkaraa

I used to have a B+W UV MRC on every one of my Contax lenses. Now I continue this old habit with Sony Zeiss protection filters :) They do have T* coatings that must be similar to the lens' coatings. I just feel more comfortable with filters on.

But I do find the lens shades annoying.

D

DougDolde

I use the Lee system but only mount it if the lens is exposed to the sun.

douglasf13

Be a little careful with those Zeiss hoods. My 85ZA had the hood on in the reverse position while in a bag, and, at some point, the right kind of pressure actually popped of the metal hood from it's plastic ring. The ring cracked in one place, but I was able to repress it back. Now, every once in a while, it pops off again. I've had the lens for over a year and a half, so who knows what I did exactly to make that happen? Whoops.

As far as UV filters, I've begun to only use them when I think protection is necessary, because I started noticing some sensor reflection issues once I received the A900. When I do use them, I use Heliopan.

edwardkaraa

Be a little careful with those Zeiss hoods. My 85ZA had the hood on in the reverse position while in a bag, and, at some point, the right kind of pressure actually popped of the metal hood from it's plastic ring. The ring cracked in one place, but I was able to repress it back. Now, every once in a while, it pops off again. I've had the lens for over a year and a half, so who knows what I did exactly to make that happen? Whoops.
Douglas, I know exactly what you mean. Already did the same thing :) I would recommend that you do not put the hood in reverse position in the bag, but instead detach the hood and put it in the bottom of the lens compartment, and then put the lens inside it facing up. In this way there is no torque on the lens hood mount that might break it or put pressure on the focusing mechanism (in the case of the 85 as the front part moves).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Ever since I dropped a new 400 mm Canon DO lens on its front, on gravel, I've been convinced of the protection offered by lens shades - not so much from flare but from user stupidity!

The DO survived perfectly and the hood was fine after I removed a scoop of gravel from it. But if the front element had hit the gravel.....

Even so, I routinely use a hood at all times. It does improve contrast in so many situations.

Bill

Eoin

I find the petal hoods so shallow on the 16-35 & 24-70 zooms and useless in terms of protection. I ended up getting 2 77mm Sony Zeiss *T filters for these lenses.

I've had the 24-70 hood drop off a couple of times, the "ding" of the metal as it hits the ground is usually loud enough to alert me to the fact, but it seems the click into place is not quite tight enough and as the lens hangs down perhaps brushing against my side it unlatches. It will prove to be an expensive loss if I don't hear the "ding", these hoots are expensive.

But with regard to the Zeiss primes, I tend to shoot those with no filter and the hoods attached. I quite like the hood on the 135, I can rest it in my palm to steady the shot. I'm not so keen on the 85's arrangement with the moving barrel and in indoor situations tend not to use the hood.

B+W UV filters + hoods here.

I usually like metal hoods, but I am not falling in love with this Hybrid construction. I hate the felt linings, they just gather lots of dust.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Shades,
all the time
all conditions
unless I don't have one, then I improvise one.
-bob

douglasf13

Edward, I've started the same thing, and store the hood unhooked to the lens. I forgot to answer your original question. Yes I nearly always shoot with hood on.

R

ralph wagner

I always use shades. If the OEM shade is cumbersome, fragile, etc. I use collapsible rubber shades. They fit nice in the bag and are inexpensive. I am using them on my 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 (the built in one doesn't do much) right now.

picman

I have the CZ 135 on order and do not want to use the original lensshade as I read reports from people who suspect the size and weight of that shade to be a possible reason why the frontend of the lens may come loose. Is anyone using another lensshade on the 135, and if so, which one? Thanks, Bob.

N

nautilus

I have the CZ 135 on order and do not want to use the original lensshade as I read reports from people who suspect the size and weight of that shade to be a possible reason why the frontend of the lens may come loose. Is anyone using another lensshade on the 135, and if so, which one? Thanks, Bob.
I can't help you regarding a different lens shade but have a question.

I don't understand how the size or weight of a lens shade can loosen a front section of a lens.
I think to remove the front section of a lens some rotating or tangential force must be applied. You have to turn it around.
The lens shade, however how heavy it is can only apply a weight-force that takes effect downwards or radial and will not contribute to loosen the front section.

I never had a problem with the front section of my 135.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Im kind of a metal lens hood screw in type myself. I wonder if heavystar on e-bay maybe the answer here. What filter size is the 24-70 and 135 1.8 . I usually use no caps and just leave the hoods on all the time

G

gtmerideth

Heavystar is selling hood/cap combo's now and I replaced the giant on my 70-300 with a much smaller hood and with the cap it's good to go in the bag.
g.