The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

special-purpose lens

Lisa

My spouse is looking for a special-purpose lens for scientific purposes, and I don't know enough about weird lenses to help. I hope someone here can...

They are looking for a 50mm C-mount lens (or they can adapt to other mounts - they don't need autofocus or iris control) that's as fast they can get (to use in very low light conditions). The tough part is that they need a minimum focus distance of less than 270mm (10.6 inches). They don't care if it's pretty soft. Very fast is important, though. They aren't very cost sensitive; they can spend several thousand dollars. It is to be used with a 1/2" sensor in an industrial video camera.

He's found a Zeiss f/2.0 (Makro-planar T 2/250 ZF). However, is there any other ~50mm lens available, usable for that short focus distance, that's even faster?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Lisa

D

ddk

My spouse is looking for a special-purpose lens for scientific purposes, and I don't know enough about weird lenses to help. I hope someone here can...

They are looking for a 50mm C-mount lens (or they can adapt to other mounts - they don't need autofocus or iris control) that's as fast they can get (to use in very low light conditions). The tough part is that they need a minimum focus distance of less than 270mm (10.6 inches). They don't care if it's pretty soft. Very fast is important, though. They aren't very cost sensitive; they can spend several thousand dollars. It is to be used with a 1/2" sensor in an industrial video camera.

He's found a Zeiss f/2.0 (Makro-planar T 2/250 ZF). However, is there any other ~50mm lens available, usable for that short focus distance, that's even faster?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Lisa
I wonder if a CRT Nikkor 55/f1.2 would work, I have one if you think is suitable. There's a typo on the page, the actual focusing distance is 41.7mm and not 417mm. http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/repro/crtface2.html;

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is also the Leica Noctilux f/0.95.
50mm and a mount change or adapter would extend the lens so that it could focus that close.
-bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Get a Canon 50/0.95 television lens and have them get S.K. Grimes modify it to their mount and focus distance requirements. I'm sure it will not be a problem for Grimes and their budget will fit Grimes work rates. He should give them a call and run his requirements by them.

Lisa

I wonder if a CRT Nikkor 55/f1.2 would work, I have one if you think is suitable. There's a typo on the page, the actual focusing distance is 41.7mm and not 417mm. http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...crtface2.html;
ddk, we can't figure out that link; it's in Japanese. There's a Nikkor 50 (not 55) f1.2 manual-focus lens on the Nikon USA web site - is that the one you're refering to? But we can't find any mention of its minimum focus distance or of macro capabilities on the web site.

There is also the Leica Noctilux f/0.95.
50mm and a mount change or adapter would extend the lens so that it could focus that close.
-bob
We are clueless about adapters. What sort of adapter or mount change would be necessary to get the desired minimum focus distance? Does it really work as advertised without any undesired side effects?

John: Thanks for the suggestion. He may give them a call.

Thanks, all!

Lisa

D

ddk

ddk, we can't figure out that link; it's in Japanese. There's a Nikkor 50 (not 55) f1.2 manual-focus lens on the Nikon USA web site - is that the one you're refering to? But we can't find any mention of its minimum focus distance or of macro capabilities on the web site.

Lisa
No Lisa that's not it, this was an industrial lens that focused very close, its fixed focus, I don't know what happened to the link but here it is again.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/repro/crtface2.html

Lisa

No Lisa that's not it, this was an industrial lens that focused very close, its fixed focus, I don't know what happened to the link but here it is again.
Thanks very much for the link - he thought it was just what he was looking for until the mention that it's fixed focus. Unfortunately that won't work for them, as there are tight constraints on exactly where they can put the camera, and the fixed focus distance isn't quite right. Almost...

Lisa

D

ddk

Thanks very much for the link - he thought it was just what he was looking for until the mention that it's fixed focus. Unfortunately that won't work for them, as there are tight constraints on exactly where they can put the camera, and the fixed focus distance isn't quite right. Almost...

Lisa
I understand, the lens is pretty sharp wide open but if the focusing distance doesn't work, then I don't know what to say.