The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 35mm f1.4 G Lens

jonoslack

Any views on this fast moderate wide angle on the A900?

Quentin
I played with it in the shop, I don't have an angle on image quality, but it's big, noisy and very expensive (at least, that's what I thought).

I bought a Tamron 28-300 for £309 instead:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Quentin_Bargate

I played with it in the shop, I don't have an angle on image quality, but it's big, noisy and very expensive (at least, that's what I thought).

I bought a Tamron 28-300 for £309 instead:ROTFL::ROTFL:
I think you probably chose wisely, Jono. However I am now widening my search to the older Minolta AF 35mm f/2, used. My aim is for a minimalist fixed focal length outfit to get me in more creative mood. A compact-ish reasonably fast 35mm lens is about right for that.

Or your Tamron - is it any good?

Quentin

edwardkaraa

Never used one, but according to user reviews, it is very sharp in the center and very soft in the corners, and remains like that no matter how you stop down.

It seems Minolta's old f/2 series is much better. But there are many who use the f/1.4 for other qualities such as color and bokeh. For me, a lens of this price has to do good in the sharpness department first, then I will look at the other qualities.

I am still waiting for the rumoured Zeiss 24/1.4 or similar but it seems Sony doesn't want our money.