The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a900 and 500 mm mirror lens

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

When I bought my a900 back in December, I also got the mirror lens, more as a toy than as a serious tool - it is quite unique in being autofocus and I thought I should have one as a "fun" lens. It was also quite cheap, less than US$700 here in Canada.

Today I thought I should try it on serious subjects, ducks in our local harbour (that's harbor for my American friends) and I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

These shots are both hand-held - a testament to SSS for a very light 500 mm lens. Still, shutter speeds were about 1/1000s. ISO was 400.

The first is the full frame, the second cropped to the shot I wanted and the third a 100% crop. Fourth (why don't my American friends say forth?) is full frame again, the fifth a 100% crop. Note the water droplets!

Considering this lens is only slightly bigger (and yet lighter) than the 24-70 CZ, I think I'll carry it routinely in future.

Last edited: