The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 1.4X teleconverter

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Does anyone have any experience with this TC?

I've been using it with the 300 mm f2.8 and the results are very poor - I'm better off cropping pix taken with the lens alone (which is nice and sharp).

I wasn't expecting great performance wide open, but it's soft at all apertures. I've tested on a steady heavy tripod, mirror up, SSS both off and on (made no difference.)

Any thoughts before I see if Sony will send me a new one?

Bill

N

nautilus

Without having seen your pictures I would say
a) wrong focus since sharpness doesn't improve while stopping the aperture down
b) moving subjects
c) if you can rule out a) and b) and really see no improvement regarding contrast and sharpness between apertures (2,8*1,4) and (5,6/8*1,4) I would send the product back.

The picture quality with 2xTC improves visible when stopping down the lens but is allways a good margin behind the lens alone. The loss in contrast is significant, therefore it depends on the photographed subject if it makes sense to use the converter.
I only own the 2xTC but the 1,4x TC should be a little bit better than the 2x TC is.

But I wouldn't expect a performance (at any aperture) that is close to the lens alone wide open.

fotografz

I picked up the 1.4X to use on the 70-200/2.8 APO Bill, but haven't used it yet.

I'll give it a try today if I get the time and report back.

Doesn't sound promising. Is the 300/2.8 an APO? I wonder if that has something to do with it? My zoom is an APO also, so I guess we need someone without an APO lens to try it.

-Marc

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

TX Marc,

My lens is the current 300 mm F2.8 G lens. It is sharp at f2.8 after I did a very small micro-adjustment, and superb at f4 and smaller.

And Nautilus, I have extensively checked focus with Lens Align. Subjects were still life. And I think you're right - time to send it back to Sony.

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I sent the TC back to Sony Canada and I guess they agreed with my assessment - a new converter arrived last week and I tested it today on the 300 G. It's like night and day. This one is sharp!

Very pleased with Sony's prompt and no-nonsense approach - tho' better quality control in the first place would have been even better. Still, they did the right thing.

Bil