The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FULL FRAME IT"S HERE

D

Daveco

Well, I was going to get married this year(I unfortunately have to pay for it), but if I had to choose between that and a full frame upgrade........hmmmmm. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Cat was let out of the bag it seems

Chris Cheesman and Angela Nicholson
Leica's chief has dropped strong hints that the firm is planning to launch a full-frame 35mm sensor based digital rangefinder camera.

Steven Lee, chief executive officer of Leica Camera AG, today told Amateur Photographer that the camera could form part of a future upgrade option for the current M8.

But, he said Leica wants to make sure that a full-frame option is ready before launch, in a bid to avoid a repeat of initial issues that dogged the M8 launch

Maggie O

I love my M8 even more now.

Guess I can go ahead and get a 50mm lens, as it will someday be a 50mm lens! ;)

etrigan63

Now that's an upgrade I would pay for. i wonder if they will include the Sapphire LCD cover with that one too? Hmmmm, could this be the next incarnation of Leica A La Carte?

jonoslack

How exciting.
Especially if they can retrofit into an M8 body . . . mind you, I suspect that would be almost as expensive as a new camera.

We can but hope!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Agree. This would be an upgrade in a quite different league. I think the most surprising hint is "Lee indicating that ... [it] could see its official debut at the Photokina trade show in Germany this autumn".

Terry

That's one way to solve the "we need more wide lenses problem" LOL
I guess I should just set Leica up on direct deposit for my paycheck.
What will be most interesting is whether or not we still need filters!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That remains to be seen. Okay love you all but I'm driving to Vegas for more. Don't burn down the house:ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Now if the shutter/glass upgrade went toward the cost of the ff upgrade...
I might actually do it.

D

Digital Dude

Cat was let out of the bag it seems...h
It would appear that it was Leica’s official web sight that "let the cat out of the bag" via their FAQ pdf document. In fact, quite of few of the questions are clearly addressed and answered although I guess a lot of folks simply haven’t read the file yet i.e. when to pay, á la carte, future sensor, etc.
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/
(see KNOW-HOW download)
Regards,

hdrmd

I shutter to think what the full frame sensor will cost. It may be curtains for the upgrade. ( I really couldn't resist) DR

Daniel

i'm quite giddy with excitement about this! :)

two days ago, i commented in another discussion group regarding Leica's upgrade path, and i'm really very excited to see this full-frame coming into fruition:

i don't believe that replacing the m8's mother board with improved electronics will be a problem. technology history has demonstrated consistently that electronic parts get smaller and smaller in a very a short period (now less than a year). so fitting new electronic components in the M8 is the least of Leica's problem.

recently, Sony announced a full-frame sensor that will be going into full production this year. this is exciting because, now, the other digital camera makers that make their own sensors have another competitor on the market, Sony -- a full-sensor competitor!

what this may mean is that, very soon, we may no longer need to make mental conversions in our heads for the 35 mm equivalent of, for example, a 28 mm lens on a non-full-frame sensor. AND full-sensor cameras may not be out of reach for many photographers' budget. the later may translate into a future upgrade for the m8 with such a sensor, because it'll be within a reasonable price range (whatever that may be) for most m8 owners.

Leica has not made an official commitment to a sensor upgrade, but their FAQ suggests that it's possible and they're considering it. i think this will happen, but the concern is when and how expensive?

Sony may have changed Leica's position from an if to a when. that is, if its new production of full-sensors are priced to compete. but lets not overlook Kodak, we have yet to hear if Kodak has a new sensor. i believe the m8's sensor is by Kodak.

i'm looking forward to a full-sensor upgrade for the m8, but i'm REALLY, REALLY hoping that the sensor upgrade for the m8 will not be exorbitant. but i believe that this will depend on the economics of supply and demand, and Leica's specialized and intellectual labor.

we shall soon find out what will happen.

– dan

etrigan63

It would appear that it was Leica’s official web sight that "let the cat out of the bag" via their FAQ pdf document. In fact, quite of few of the questions are clearly addressed and answered although I guess a lot of folks simply haven’t read the file yet i.e. when to pay, á la carte, future sensor, etc.
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/
(see KNOW-HOW download)
Regards,
Could you point out where in the FAQ you got this from? I read the whole thing and missed it. Not that I don't believe you, it's that I cannot find it.

Daniel

Could you point out where in the FAQ you got this from? I read the whole thing and missed it. Not that I don't believe you, it's that I cannot find it.
i believe it's here:
http://en.leica-camera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_3579.pdf

FAQ #6

6. Does Leica intend to pursue this system in the future?

The LEICA M8 Upgrade Program is designed to provide our customers with a long-term assurance of their investment, since you can always bring your camera up to date. We are presently investigating the possibility of further upgrade steps including the camera’s complete digital section, even including the sensor itself.