The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

examples Sigma DP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonclivehughes

WOW .......
Quite riveting
I'm visually hooked
Really? I'm not very impressed at all. Even in the ISO 100 shot (lower left), you can discern colour mottling in the blue sky. The ISO 200 shot of the Hummer has a weird mottling effect noticeable in the shadow areas of the hood and the single ISO 800 shot shows an even more exaggerated mess in green to the left of the main entrance and in magenta to the right of it. Perhaps these examples are from an early version, but unless they can do a better job than this, they'll have little to tout it over a smaller sensor.

Lili

Really? I'm not very impressed at all. Even in the ISO 100 shot (lower left), you can discern colour mottling in the blue sky. The ISO 200 shot of the Hummer has a weird mottling effect noticeable in the shadow areas of the hood and the single ISO 800 shot shows an even more exaggerated mess in green to the left of the main entrance and in magenta to the right of it. Perhaps these examples are from an early version, but unless they can do a better job than this, they'll have little to tout it over a smaller sensor.
Simon,
I cannot see the effects you describe at all :(
The blue sky looks quite smooth and even on the 17" widescreen TFT display on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop

A

asabet

The color noise at ISO 800 is discouraging. This looks to be a low ISO camera with a slow lens. From what I've seen so far, I'd take the GRD2 over this.

gromitspapa

I see the mottling in the sky in the full res image. Here's a 100% crop:

If I just resize the image, the sky looks normal. So I don't know if that mottling is normal or not.

A 100% crop of the hood. Looks good to me:

Resized:

The green shadow noise 100% crop. Tough circumstances, I would think:

The magenta area, 100% crop:

Resized version:

Overall, I'm very impressed. I'd really like to see the same shots side-by-side against the Ricoh.

simonclivehughes

I'm viewing on a 23" Sony monitor (driven by my MacBook Pro) and I can clearly see (at 100%), the colour noise I'm referring to. In the Hummer shot, it appears as greenish/yellow noise on the hood shadow areas (the darker horizontal band below the windshield and the the horizontal areas at left foreground), it's splotchy. The hood colour is not a uniform orange in these areas. Considering that this shows at 200 ISO (let alone the noise in the 100 ISO sky), as I said, I'm not impressed.

helenhill

Sorry Folks
I should clarify
It wasn't the pictures I was HOOKED ON (rather boring shots indeed)
Being a jaded New Yawker
I was sooooo into the Advertising Concept behind the Dp1.
Http://www.sigma-dp1.com/
The Sigma site is just cutting edge with word & imagery
An artsy intellectual edge
Maybe I'm a sucker for advertising since I haven't owned a TV in ten years
Cheers !:toocool:

Last edited:
S

Sun

Looking forward to seeing some in depth reviews on this new body.

J

John Carolan

More examples from a pre-production DP1 on the DPreview site now here I think I'm sold on this.

simonclivehughes

Well the RAW shots are certainly better than the jpegs but in the one ISO 800 shot (sdim0059.jpg), I'm still seeing some magenta and yellowish colour noise in the shadow areas of the petals, and this is not even a darkish scene. I really wonder what it is capable of in lesser light, especially with the relatively slow lens.

Please understand that I'm not trying to pick fault with this camera... when it was announced, I was ecstatic, even with the slow lens. When they announced the delay, I had hoped that they were reconsidering the lens choice and that we might see a faster version. With a sensor this big (compared to our traditional small sensor digicams), I think we have a right to expect stellar performance, and so far I'm not seeing that.

Obviously we'll have to await further more rigorous testing. We can still hope, I guess.

Will

I've been thinking that the DP1 isn't actually a small sensor camera so it should be in another area of the forums as well but it doesn't seem to be.

Terry

I've been thinking that the DP1 isn't actually a small sensor camera so it should be in another area of the forums as well but it doesn't seem to be.
I think these threads just ended up here because the same people that have been interested in the GRD II, GX100, D-lux3 etc. are also interested in the DP1 and posted about it on launch.

Maggie O

Its sensor is around the size of a 4/3rds camera, but it's not a 4/3rds camera. It might as well be here, I reckon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting- DPreview says the DP1 has a 4/3rds sized sensor.
That's almost correct. The E-3 sensor is 18.0 x 13.5mm, while the DP1 (and the SD14) sensor is 20.7 x 13.8mm. The height is almost identical, but it's wider, with the traditional 35mm aspect ratio.

Maggie O

That's almost correct. The E-3 sensor is 18.0 x 13.5mm, while the DP1 (and the SD14) sensor is 20.7 x 13.8mm. The height is almost identical, but it's wider, with the traditional 35mm aspect ratio.
I didn't say it was identical. It is obviously a different aspect ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.