The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Update from PMA

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi everyone it's been a long day and Jack and i actually drove from LV to Moab Utah and i drove from Phoenix to LV early this morning , so I am wiped out but after a 2 hour sit down with 5 leica folks with Jack and i it was real clear to us what all this silly language really comes down too. Lot's of words for a very basic concept. First and foremost the Leica M8 will always be a leica M8 and be built exactly like it is today period, call it the base model . Just like you go to a car dealer and order a BMW 325 base model. Exactly like that Leica will not make a upgraded camera to be sold as a upgrade camera. A dealer may actually have 5 bodies sent to Leica and have a upgrade installed and sell it like that at his price but LEICA will only make a base model. Now just like a car you order options for a BMW there is a sports package , performace package and let's say a off road package you don't need one to have the other. Same with Leica the first upgrade package is LCD, shutter the next upgrade or number two will be what ever technology is available that they can install on the base M8 than let's say there is another upgrade call that number 3.

Now you can skip number 1 and get number 2 or get number 1 and skip number two and also get number 3 . So you can pick and chose your options and you don't need 1 option to get a another. No preference you can bounce around with the 3 let's say and also get them at any time you want . So let's say you want number 1 option, you can wait if you really want to until number 3 comes out and still get number 1.

Now no matter what when you get a upgrade you get a 2 year warranty from that time you have it done.So folks like me that my orginal warranty ends November this year , if I had a upgrade in August than my new warranty is now starting in August 08 and ends 2010 but if I add upgrade option 2 in Next Feb than i get a 2 year warranty from that date.
I have to go over all my notes and try to compile all the questions but this part covers quite a few questions right off the bat.

Now you pay for this first upgrade in March to get scheduled for August . Like i said in another thread this is to guarntee your place in line for scheduling and Leica will charge you ahead of time because than you are committed to the schedule. So yes you have to pay to play , just like a concert ticket you pay for it in advance than go 3 months later.

But this sole purpose is to make sure your scheduled upgrade gets done in 4 weeks . Like I said early if you can schedule according to the work load that can be handled than there are no delays. This is not like repairs where 1000 units show up and not enough man power to handle it. With this program they have a number that can done in exactly 4 weeks and let's say that is 300 a month than if your number is 301 well you go to next month. First come first serve basis.

I have to go back and read my notes and make some comments later just to beat up right now but I will add Jack and i did play with the upgraded camera and it is significant noise reduction and also it is smoother to release the shutter also. Which BTW we both said we are getting the upgrade. It was really sweet i have to say and i know i could easily pick up a stop on the slow side.

Check in later

jonoslack

Thank you Guy
Well, I think it's all excellent news - I'll certainly be up for my voucher for one of my bodies at least
Many thanks for the information

D

docolmo

Q1. Does that mean, if I buy a second-hand basic M8, say 5 years from now, and I send if for upgrade, I get a new warranty from that date?

Q2. I wonder, when inspecting a second-hand M8, how can one tell an LCD screen is the standard one or the sapphire glass one?

carstenw

Q1. Does that mean, if I buy a second-hand basic M8, say 5 years from now, and I send if for upgrade, I get a new warranty from that date?

Q2. I wonder, when inspecting a second-hand M8, how can one tell an LCD screen is the standard one or the sapphire glass one?
You take a shot. If it is quiet, it is the sapphire screen :D

Maybe it'll have a harder sound if you tap it with a round metal object?

Guy Mancuso

That is correct

Very easy the upgraded camera the shutter dial is the external change to 1/4000 . I tend to think the sapphire will be shiner too

Guy Mancuso

BTW price for the first upgrade is 1200 Euros period. So whatever the conversion rate for the US at time of CC charge than whatever your CC company charges at that time. It's 1200
Euro's for EVERYONE and it is a pick up from your door and delivered to your door , no drop off to any service center to have it done.

Btw if you buy a used M8 on e-bay let's say you send it in for a upgrade you get a 2 year warranty.

Another note Leica has come out with a new skin that you can actually buy through customer service it is a Vulcanite skin. Now this is seperate from the upgrade and any camera can be sent in to have this done.

All upgrades will come back with a normal skin and this is a seperate line item. Not sure if you can have it done though at upgrade time and will check into that but this is a repair dept. item so I kind of doubt it. The upgrades are coming from the production line which is seperate from repair. So folks that have replaced there skin on there own maybe wise to remove it before upgrade ,Leica will put a normal skin on it after upgrading it

Let me go over another issue if you want to buy a M8 with a upgrade than this strictly is a dealer option. Basically they send several of there bodies to Leica get the upgrade and sell them but this is a dealer option if they chose to do that

Terry

Hmmmm......
You both are mighty silent on the future....as in what is possible at Photokina time.

D

Digital Dude

Another note Leica has come out with a new skin that you can actually buy through customer service it is a Vulcanite skin. Now this is seperate from the upgrade and any camera can be sent in to have this done...
That’s interesting to hear; by chance do you know what it looks like i.e. any photos? Based on a prototype I saw elsewhere, I would think it resembles Camel leather’s “Black Beauty” (except not so shiny) but I’m just guessing here.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks for all the info on the update, Guy and Jack. I feel a lot better about it now. My warranty is up in November and I'll probably do the upgrade.

I hope everyone in Moab has a great workshop. Wish I was there!:mad:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That’s interesting to hear; by chance do you know what it looks like i.e. any photos? Based on a prototype I saw elsewhere, I would think it resembles Camel leather’s “Black Beauty” (except not so shiny) but I’m just guessing here.
Regards,:rolleyes:
It is EXACTLY the same material they're putting on the base MP. Basically a bit more nubby and grippy than the standard M8 fare.

To clarify one of Guy's comments above, any CUSTOM coverings you may have on your camera will be discarded and replaced with stock M8 material on the update... So if you have a special CameraLeather cover, you will want to strip it and send in a naked M8 for the upgrade --- I confirmed that this will not affect (impair) the upgrade process at all.

Cheers,

E

espressogeek

So if leica will only make a base model m8 please tell me that when a larger number of pixels becomes avaiable I dont have to pay for the sensor twice, once for the 10mp and again for the (insert your dream number of megapixels here )megapixels. Or will the M8 only be a 10mp camera and the upgrades will only enhance the M8 package.