The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rediscovering the WATE

jonoslack

Hi There
I had rather been considering whether I wanted to keep my WATE or not. The CV 15 does a grand job, and it's so tiny. I remembered it as having been a real fiddle to get right, and the finder as huge and ugly.
So, with the idea of deciding whether or not to sell it I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and concentrated on it.
It's wonderful - f4 - f8 (which is what I mostly use for landscapes) it's spectacularly sharp - right to the corners, and with no vignetting. Using it wasn't so much of a hassle - it's just a case of getting a procedure for changing the focal length and sticking to it - it may be slow, but it's a damn sight quicker than changing lenses!
As for the Frankenfinder - it's accurate and clear, and what more can one expect?
So - I've fallen back in love with this lens, it may be bigger than the CV15, but it's hardly a tank, and it works so well.

16mm f8:

LJL

Jono,
Very nice!

I had decided against the WATE a while back, due to all the "issues", many of which are more reasonably resolved now, thanks to the efforts and skill of so many. I too have the CV 15, and love it for size and ease of use, an get a very similar look as your WATE 16 has delivered.

My thinking about the WATE is starting to come around again, and especially IF (big word there) there is a FF sensor option possibility for the M8 at some point. I think the WATE would be an absolutely outstanding consideration at that point. If the entire UV/IR filter thing did not exist, this lens seems like it really could rule the wide end of the kit, frankenfinder and all.

Thanks for sharing the shot and the thoughts.

LJ

TimWright

I had bought the wate with finder with the 30% deal. While waiting for it I decided to get the cv15 and found it to be really great. I had decided to sell the wate when it showed up. When it did I made the mistake of trying it just to make sure it was ok before selling. I haven't used the cv since.

I have really enjoyed the WATE. The Frankenfinder has the most accurate frame lines I have seen on the M8. I also have the C/V 15 and it is great especially considering the size and cost. However, I haven't used it since I got the WATE, but can't bring myself to sell it because I can still see value in having such a small lens for light travel.

Anyway, here are a few of my WATE photos from last summer.

jonoslack

Thanks everyone for chipping in.
Interesting that they do seem to be the only really reliable framelines for the M8 - of course, it's because of being able to change the distance.

Nice examples Mark

jonoslack

what's a Frankenfinder?

by the way, jono and mark, may we see a few more shots here? your photos are beautiful.
HI There - I like your new avatar :)
The Frankenfinder is the finder that comes with the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar. So named because it is so ugly - however, it's nicely made and has really accurate framelines - it'll do for the WATE on full frame as well!

You should never ask me for more shots - you'll always get more than you ask for!

You want more? I got more! :)

A couple more WATE images which are a bit different. The first is looking up through a stairwell in the Bailey's Millennium Hotel in Kensington, London (to bad the ceiling isn't more interesting. The second is a fireworks show on St. Pete Beach, Florida put on for visiting corporate sponsors for the upcoming 2009 Super Bowl.