The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony & Zeiss partnership

N

nautilus

Since you all like Zeiss lenses like hell I link to news a spokesman of Zeiss told the press today.

http://www.it-times.de/news/nachricht/datum////carl-zeiss-und-sony-festigen-partnerschaft/

It's only in German, I will give you a rough translation of the key content.

- cooperation contract between Zeiss business unit photo lenses an Sony will be renewed for another 5 years

- the contract comprises as well a closer joint development and marketing of new picture technologies/systems on the basis of their partnership since 1996

- Sony's input will be electronics and sensor technology, Zeiss' input will be know-how in optics

- contract allows Sony exclusive marketing of Zeiss lenses for still and video cameras

- products of former cooperation mentioned are compact cameras, camcorders, high level bridge cameras and lenses for DSLR's

Two important things are the message
- exclusive marketing of Sony-Zeiss lens designs for another 5 years
- and intensified cooperation work (good, they were a bit slow the last time; with the new contract they will hopefully be a bit quicker with new lenses)

No more detailed information are provided in the article.

edwardkaraa

All this is useless for us, unless it translates into some high quality luminous primes coming soon, including a wide angle, a macro and medium telephoto (180-200mm)

picman

All this is useless for us, unless it translates into some high quality luminous primes coming soon, including a wide angle, a macro and medium telephoto (180-200mm)
Hi Edward,

Yes of course. But the cooperation was up for renewal. They could have ended it. It is good news they did not, so now at least there is a chance. I contacted Zeiss and specifically asked if the new cooperation includes the Alpha system, answer:

"Thank you very much for your kind email.
The extended cooperation with Sony does also include the Alpha system. We always strive a long-term relationship in all product ranges with our development partners.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Kind regards"

Cheers, Bob.

edwardkaraa

Hi Bob,

Yes it is definitely good news that they didn't decide to end the cooperation, and there were some rumours that they would. Now with Sony's new policy of promoting their G glass I do hope a few more Zeiss lenses would still make it to existence.

S

Shelby Lewis

(snip)... and 35/1.4 ASPH please :)
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! 35/1.4 :cry:

I almost didn't leave canon for that very lens alone. In wedding work it is the perfect storytelling lens (IMO). If you shoot close with it, you get amazingly sharp detail yet with plenty of "environment" still in the shot... all without looking too "wide-angley"

douglasf13

Shelby, there is a Sony 35mm 1.4G\ lens as well, but I agree that a Zeiss would be sweet. The Sony is kind of an "artisan" lens. Not razor sharp compared to some, but it has a nice look to it.

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, there is a Sony 35mm 1.4G\ lens as well, but I agree that a Zeiss would be sweet. The Sony is kind of an "artisan" lens. Not razor sharp compared to some, but it has a nice look to it.
Yeah... I've looked into the sony 35/1.4 and really like the look of it. But what I wouldn't give for that zeiss sharpness and micro-contrast in combination with some buttery bokeh. Environmental portraiture @ 1.4 would be stunning, I'd bet.

fotografz

Is there anywhere to see some Sony 35/1.4 shots? The consumer reviews for this lens on the B&H site are pretty bad ... but if it has a nice look then it could work for weddings. 35/1.4 was a mainstay in my Canon outfit and I miss it. Nikon doesn't have one either.

I must say that the 16-35/2.8 is fast becoming my favorite of the Zeiss zooms.
But a f/1.4 would be much appreciated.

edwardkaraa

I think most of the 35/1.4 samples I've seen come from the older Minolta version. Imho it would make a nice weddings lens where optimum sharpness is not required. I believe it has very nice bokeh and the sharpness is quite good only in the center. It gets very soft everywhere else and never reaches acceptable levels when stopped down. I have to admit the samples I've seen looked very nice, but all were specifically reportage like photos with background blur. Not very versatile, but works well for this purpose.

edwardkaraa

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering where are the fruits of this cooperation? Sony is using more and more G lenses on their compacts and less Zeiss. Nothing new since the 16-35. Not that their lens line up is perfect and doesn't need any additions.

Judging from the recent announcements of low-end cameras and one downgrade from the A-900, I have serious doubts about Sony's committment.

Eoin

patience, patience Grasshopper!, perfection takes time.;)

The a900 is not that old and rumors of a camera above the a900 are rife. As for glass, I don't know, but believe we'll get a couple of wide Zeiss primes.

Keep the faith, I'm positive this will turn out to be an excellent platform with a little time.

dhsimmonds

IMHO Sony will need to introduce a whole new raft of lenses before it is worth their while introducing a pro version of the a900.

Sony conceded this when they introduced the a900 as a non-pro cam.........but it has still gone on to have become a very popular camera amomgst many pro's!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Good points. As for myself, I also invested into that line up. little bit like a gamble, hoping for a beefed up Pro Version and more Zeiss Glas.

In this case, I would rather think, no news is good news, and as Eoin said, it takes time to do it right. To diversify the line with less expensive versions makes sense.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying the quality I am getting from this beast.

picman

I am equally concerned. Maybe we should independently make inquiries with Zeiss. I contacted them in June and this was the reply:

"yes, the statement in our press release regarding Zeiss branded lenses refers to all kinds of cameras (point and shoot cameras, camcorders, Alpha system) and other devices that contain optical systems.
Please understand that we cannot publish any timeframes or details about future products outside official press releases."

Cheers, Bob.

fotografz

Actually, I don't think Sony is very far away from being all I need. I know that some folks feel that without T/S lenses it isn't a Pro system ... but I don't really care that much ... can't be everything to everyone. Leica didn't have a R T/S lens either ... just the old 28mm T/S Schneider that you can get with most any camera mount.

A fast Zeiss 28/2 or 35/1.4 and hopefully an A1000 with dual card slots plus a bit better high ISO performance and I'd be totally there with the Sony Kit.

A Zeiss 50/1.2 would be over the moon :thumbs:

edwardkaraa

I did contact them a couple of times, and they consistently replied that they are not allowed to comment on ZA lenses since they are Sony products. And they did ask me to address any questions or requests to Sony directly.

There was a rumour circulating some time ago that Sony was more interested in promoting its own G line instead of Zeiss, especially that it's a matter of company pride. I was quite relieved to read the renewal of the contract, but nothing since then gave me any reassurance, especially with all those G lenses that we see everywhere now.

I am equally concerned. Maybe we should independently make inquiries with Zeiss. I contacted them in June and this was the reply:

"yes, the statement in our press release regarding Zeiss branded lenses refers to all kinds of cameras (point and shoot cameras, camcorders, Alpha system) and other devices that contain optical systems.
Please understand that we cannot publish any timeframes or details about future products outside official press releases."

Cheers, Bob.

ecsh

I would still not expect something soon. If the agreement was about to expire, they would have nothing in the pipeline with Zeiss, since it would not have been finished. How long does it take to design and test a lens before it hits the market? I would bet its a long time.
Joe