The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 20, Lens correction is not working for photos without EXIF data❓❓

Capture One 20, Lens correction is not working for photos without EXIF data❓❓

Hey all,
just checking if anyone has this strange bug (if it's a bug at all...or is it me?)

When I apply a lens correction to a photo that was taken with a known lens (original or via AF adapter that transmit EXIF), I can see the visual change, and the Distortion lever goes to 100.

With some other photos taken with a manual (no AF or EXIF) adapter like a shift/title adapter, when I choose and apply a lens profile form the list I see NO changes, visually, and the distortion lever stays 0.

Example 1:
photo shot with GFX and FUJI GF45mm.
CaptureOne recognizes the lens, and applies the lens correction automatically and the the distortion lever goes to 100.

Example 2:
photo shot with GFX and Canon TS-E 24mm via Kipon Smart AF Adapter.
CaptureOne doesn't recognize the lens.
I manually select a Canon 24mm 1.4 profile (forget for now it's not the right profile!)
and I see the visual effect / change and the the distortion lever goes to 100.

Example 3:
photo shot with GFX and Pentax 35mm 645 via Kipon adapter (no AF, no electronic, no EXIF)
CaptureOne doesn't recognize the lens, and if I apply manually the correct profile from the list, nothing happens.

It seems that if the image doesn't have the correct EXIF data C1 cannot correct the image... is this right? does this happened to you? anyway to fix this?

Simon Barter

Re: Capture One 20, Lens correction is not working for photos without EXIF data❓❓

It seems that if the image doesn't have the correct EXIF data C1 cannot correct the image... is this right? does this happened to you? anyway to fix this?
Yes, I believe it only gets that information from the exif data so without it your software has no way of knowing which lens corrections to apply.

Alan

Re: Capture One 20, Lens correction is not working for photos without EXIF data❓❓

C1 has to have a profile for the lens. Unfortunately, Canon/Nikon Tilt-Shift and Pentax 645 lenses are among those that are missing. If you pop up the Profile menu in the Lens tab, you'll see the list of profiles available.

In some cases, the "Generic" profile can work OK-ish for these lenses. Don't forget to enter the XY shift values as appropriate.

Owen

Hey all,
just checking if anyone has this strange bug (if it's a bug at all...or is it me?)

When I apply a lens correction to a photo that was taken with a known lens (original or via AF adapter that transmit EXIF), I can see the visual change, and the Distortion lever goes to 100.

With some other photos taken with a manual (no AF or EXIF) adapter like a shift/title adapter, when I choose and apply a lens profile form the list I see NO changes, visually, and the distortion lever stays 0.

Example 1:
photo shot with GFX and FUJI GF45mm.
CaptureOne recognizes the lens, and applies the lens correction automatically and the the distortion lever goes to 100.

Example 2:
photo shot with GFX and Canon TS-E 24mm via Kipon Smart AF Adapter.
CaptureOne doesn't recognize the lens.
I manually select a Canon 24mm 1.4 profile (forget for now it's not the right profile!)
and I see the visual effect / change and the the distortion lever goes to 100.

Example 3:
photo shot with GFX and Pentax 35mm 645 via Kipon adapter (no AF, no electronic, no EXIF)
CaptureOne doesn't recognize the lens, and if I apply manually the correct profile from the list, nothing happens.

For the Pentax 35, try the profile for the Contax 645 35 and then set distortion to 100. Depending on which version you have this should get you fairly close. You can now set the aperture in the Movement tab to make Diffraction Correction useful, and if you're using it as a shift lens with an adapter you can also plug in the X and Y amounts. Works well. It's not perfect but C1 doesn't support the rival Pentax MF camera or lenses.

The 24 TS-E doesn't have a distortion profile as it's a shift lens, but you can still set diffraction correction and CA.