The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm v. III in-depth review on the Hasselblad X1D

vieri

Ladies & gentlemen, I just published my in-depth review of the little great Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm v. III on the Hasselblad X1D! Especially given the lack of native ultra-wide angle options in the medium format world, this lens is a great option to have if you enjoy ultra-wide on medium format - albeit with some caveats, of course.

Read what I thought about it here:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2020/05/voigtlander-super-wide-heliar-15mm-in-depth-review-on-the-hasselblad-x1d.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. Best regards,

Vieri

ggibson

Always appreciate your reviews, Vieri. I have this lens for Sony FE mount, and on my A7rII I actually get a higher resolution 3:2 image than cropping on the X1D. It seems useful if you want to shoot squarer formats on the Hasselblad and can live with the electronic shutter. The small size is great for travel, and the handling of Voigtlander lenses is superb. Optically, it's a terrific lens if you can get a copy with good corner performance. The optical design seems to have tight tolerances, and many copies have "smearing" in the extreme corners. My first copy was like this and I've heard from many others that theirs was as well, but the copy I have now is very sharp in the corners. Something for potential buyers to be aware of, especially if shopping on the used market. I also have the petals removed on mine for better filter use (done professionally by SK Grimes).

vieri

Always appreciate your reviews, Vieri. I have this lens for Sony FE mount, and on my A7rII I actually get a higher resolution 3:2 image than cropping on the X1D. It seems useful if you want to shoot squarer formats on the Hasselblad and can live with the electronic shutter. The small size is great for travel, and the handling of Voigtlander lenses is superb. Optically, it's a terrific lens if you can get a copy with good corner performance. The optical design seems to have tight tolerances, and many copies have "smearing" in the extreme corners. My first copy was like this and I've heard from many others that theirs was as well, but the copy I have now is very sharp in the corners. Something for potential buyers to be aware of, especially if shopping on the used market. I also have the petals removed on mine for better filter use (done professionally by SK Grimes).
Thank you for your comment, glad you enjoyed the read :) Yes, sample variation is something to be aware of, it seems. I have been lucky to find a great copy :) Best regards,

Vieri