The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 hsm samples up on pbase

docmaas

I had hoped to do a comparison between this lens and the SAL2470CZ but Amazon has the Zeiss lens backordered to May 12th.

Nevertheless here is a full set of shots at about 25' at 24, 35, 50 and 70mm. Processed with Raw Developer. No noise reduction. Sharpened with Deconvolution .6mm 25 iterations.

What do you think? I'm particularly interested to hear from the SAL2470 users.

http://www.pbase.com/masimo/sigma_2470_hsm_on_sony_samples

dhsimmonds

It's difficult to compare without viewing an identical image lens for lens.

There is no doubt that some Sigma lenses are up there with the best of them, the 50mm F1.4 some would consider the equal of any Zeiss or Leica of similar focal length and aperture.

However there has also been some discussion on other forums about the use of Sigma AF lenses on Sony Alpha cameras with experiences of stripped plastic AF gears on Sigma lenses due to the high torque of the Sony AF motor.

The Sony and Zeiss lenses use metal gears apparently. I queried this with two Sigma representatives at a Southampton Pro show recently and received fairly non-committal replies.....suggesting I write to their technical guru instead! I have yet to do so as I am currently not interested in buying a Sigma lens! I have to admit wishing that their 180mm macro was available with a Sony alpha mount though.:mad:

Lars

The Sigma 50/1.4 is a great lens for its price point, Sigma has created something special there.

However it's as far from apochromatic as any similar lens in that price range. Apochromatic out of focus performance likely requires much more costly designs and materials - that is the domain of Leica and Zeiss. If you are aware of this limitation then it's really a fantastic little gem with a bokeh hard to match at any price point.

A few more photos with my sigma today in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6950

edwardkaraa

I had hoped to do a comparison between this lens and the SAL2470CZ but Amazon has the Zeiss lens backordered to May 12th.

Nevertheless here is a full set of shots at about 25' at 24, 35, 50 and 70mm. Processed with Raw Developer. No noise reduction. Sharpened with Deconvolution .6mm 25 iterations.

What do you think? I'm particularly interested to hear from the SAL2470 users.

http://www.pbase.com/masimo/sigma_2470_hsm_on_sony_samples
The Sigma samples do not look good at all. :thumbdown:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm afraid I have to agree with Edward here. Even at f/8 and 24mm, the corners are nothing near being sharp. That is rather disappointing, since this is not a cheap lens.