The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 - can I do this?

Quentin_Bargate

The A900 has several useful functions: mirror lock up, auto bracketing, and the remote commander.

Can they be used in combination?

The same (drive) menu is used to select between these three functions. Ideally one would be able to use them together.

The remote commander does away with the need for any corded remote. Use that together with, say, continuous autobracket when the A900 is on a tripod and hey presto, an HDR redy combination taken with minimum effort. Or maybe select mirror up and use the remote commander for reduced vibration.

Quentin

Braeside

You are right Quentin, it isn't possible with the supplied remote commander, unfortunately.

I have a third party wireless (radio) remote that I can use for that however, got in eBay a couple of years ago, very inexpensive, and has minolta/sony plug on it. I velcro the receiver to the tripod leg.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks, looks interesting, David - but how dumb of Sony not to enable their own supplied controller to do this? Nuts.

Quentin

dhsimmonds

I am not too keen on the remote commander as you need to be slightly in front of the camera/tripod for it to work! I prefer to use the remote cable, I have the long one which can always be coiled up for when you need to use a shorter cable. Never tried it with bracketing, mirror up though!

edwardkaraa

Sony probably believes the remote control is to take pictures of yourself with your friends. After I discovered it can't lock the mirror up, I bought the good old 50cm remote cable. The remote control is awkward to use as Dave mentioned as the sensor is in front and it is just a gimmick to impress the buyers and his friends not a serious tool.

Braeside

I believe that the remote is as you say designed for self portrait like situations, where the front sensor makes sense. It is also really useful if you are showing camera pictures on an HDTV via HDMI. I have used it about twice only. I normally just use the 2 second timer built in to the camera if I don't have a cable or radio wireless release with me. The radio unit I mentioned is nice if you need a bit of range, like remote picture taking of birds at the feeder and so on.

fotografz

I believe that the remote is as you say designed for self portrait like situations, where the front sensor makes sense. It is also really useful if you are showing camera pictures on an HDTV via HDMI. I have used it about twice only. I normally just use the 2 second timer built in to the camera if I don't have a cable or radio wireless release with me. The radio unit I mentioned is nice if you need a bit of range, like remote picture taking of birds at the feeder and so on.
Big difference between radio control and optical control. I may get that Hong Kong one for weddings when I have a camera on the Balcony and am on the floor shooting from the side lines. Cool tip, thanks.