The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sony 70-400 tested on A700

douglasf13

Sounds like the final review I need, Bill. :) I just placed an order to rent this for my Hawaii trip in a few weeks, so I'm excited to give it a whirl. BTW, how is hand holding it? I'll have a tripod on the trip, but I'll inevitably be hand holding a lot (with both the lens and my fiance ;) ) Also, do you think I'll need my battery grip for the A900 in order to hold steadily? I was hoping to avoid it.

I'm mostly a people shooter, but hopefully I come back with some acceptable images for all of you great travel/landscape shooters on this forum.

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

It is quite a heavy lens but is certainly hand-holdable for reasonable durations. I like it best when I can brace myself against a tree or wall or something. In fact, I haven't yet actually used it on a tripod!

When it is extended to 400 mm it becomes a bit unbalanced and I find the extra leverage at the base of my right hand afforded by the battery grip to be quite helpful. (Also, when traveling that extra battery immediately on hand is very comforting!)

This photo was handheld at 400 mm - this is a centre crop at 100%.

Bill

Last edited: