The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metz Flash Question for M8

fotografz

I have a Metz 54 MZ-4i digital flash with a SCA 3502 (M4) ... which refuses to work in TTL on my M8. It works in "A" and Manual.

The camera is working because it'll fire the SF24D in TTL.

The Metz website says that the proper adapter is SCA 3502 (ab M4 / as of M4).

Anyone know what the gibberish (ab M4 / as of M4) means? What is the correct adapter for the M8?

TimWright

Not at home to look it up but there is a sub menu you have to go into and set to get TTL. If you go on the Leica forums and do a search you should find it easy enough. It doesn't really work all that well with the M8 and in the end I went back to A mode which works fine.

robsteve

Subscriber
The GNC actually shows up under M. I think the flash needs to be mounted to the M8 for this option to show up. Select the mode to M and then use the scroll wheel thing to get the power ratio to change from 1: 1 to GNC.

I just tried this on my M8 and Metz 54 to confirm. Don't forget that you cannot select GNC unless the flash is mounted to the M8 and the M8 is on.

Last edited:

fotografz

Thanks Tim.

Strange that you have to go to a sub menu, since the SF24D does it automatically.

You're right ... the "A" setting works great. I don't use the big Metz often, but once in awhile I need more than the SF24D can put out. The flash is bigger than the darn camera and really screws with the balance.