The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images from the A900 from Dorset

Quentin_Bargate

Dear All,

I have just returned from a refreshing break in Dorset, southern England, where I took a number of shots with the A900 and (mainly) the Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8. I wnet all out on a few shots and I have processed a few favourites, two of which I append below

The first image was taken last Monday at sunset in Kimmeridge Bay as the tide was coming in and the clouds were gathering. Technincal details are Sony A900 at ISO 100, Zeiss 24-70mm at 24mm and F/18, Lee ND .6 grad and linear polariser, 1/2 sec exposure, processed in DxO and Photoshop CS4. Sometime during the course of this shot, my PDA went swimming with the fishes :eek: :

The second image was taken 6 days later near the same spot, at about 5:45am, as before except F/20 and 3.5 secs exposure.

So how did the A900 fare? Well I also took the Mamiya ZD with me but never took it out of its bag. Stopped down to F18 to F22 at 24mm and using hyperfocal focusing, front to back sharp images are not too much of a problem; a bigger problem was mirror bounce affecting sharpness. I could not use mirror lock-up easily as I don't have the remote electornic cable release. I freqently used the remote "commander" just for hands-off shooting on a tripod. Not ideal, but it proved to be the best compromise. I am pleased to report that the Zeiss 24-70mm held up well down to F22 in trms of sharpness, better in fact than the 35mm Mamiya Wide angle.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Beautiful shots. :)

You know the cameras two second timer does mirror lock up, right?
thanks Douglas.

Knew I should have read the manual :ROTFL:

Seriously, they need more versatility with mirror lock up. I'm sure it could be added with a firmware upgrade.

Cheers

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Good use of a grad, nice to see. Most people don't bother with digital.
Hi Lars,

I don't often, but the closer you get the shot right in camera, the better in my view. With some subjects combining different exposures for an HDR image does not work that well, of course.

However I did combine two different exposures and focus points manually (no HDR, old fashioned Photohop) for the picture below of Portland Bill and the rusty bollard in the foreground. I liked the similarity in shapes and colour but even stopping down, it was not possible to get the foreground sharp enough, nor get enough shadow detail, in a single image.

I originally purchased the Lee filters for 8x10. I see you are a fan of that format

Quentin

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Quentin... great stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving insights into your use of grads/filters/ps. I've often thought of picking up some grads but, as a people shooter, I just don't do much landscape work.

Now that I have an a900 (and some mf gear soon probably), I'm really thinking about doing some for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!

P

panyawong

Quentin;

I like your "kimmeridge-at-dawn" shot. It is beautiful. The sunset one for some reason on my screen the cloud is very dark but there is no associated shadow on the water. It is still a nice shot, but I like the dawn one better.

Regards,
Panya

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin;

I like your "kimmeridge-at-dawn" shot. It is beautiful. The sunset one for some reason on my screen the cloud is very dark but there is no associated shadow on the water. It is still a nice shot, but I like the dawn one better.

Regards,
Panya
Hi there, Panya,

My preference too :) I think its the best shot I took during the trip. Thanks for the feedback.

There is some shadow on the other shot, but the effect of the ND grad (necessary because of the setting sun) has been to darken the clouds. I might try lightening them a tad to see if this assists.

Quentin

jonoslack

HI Quentin
fine stuff - was this a family trip or just a Quentin chill-out.
I'm impressed by 5.30!
Now you've drowned you pda, you can get real and buy an iphone like everyone else:p

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono,

Thanks. The latter. I was practically frog-marched out the door by my staff who say I needed a short break (for them or me we ask rhetorically :D ). And the PDA was replaced by courier the next working day.

Cheers

Quentin

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Thanks. The latter. I was practically frog-marched out the door by my staff who say I needed a short break (for them or me we ask rhetorically :D ).
I'll have to be more grumpy . . my staff just said "could you try and finish the stock depreciation and authorisation systems over the weekend please "
:eek::(:cry:

Quentin_Bargate

I'll have to be more grumpy . . my staff just said "could you try and finish the stock depreciation and authorisation systems over the weekend please "
:eek::(:cry:
You are sweetness and light Jono :D

OK here is another dawn shot, this time of Corfe Castle. This time I used the 70-300mm, F/16, ISO 200, 1/40 sec, @ near 300mm, tripod.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

This one is amazing Quentin :clap:
Cheers, Edward :thumbup: The weather was really mixed during the week I was in Dorset. Ideal really for interesting skies, climatic conditions, mist etc. and of course at this time of year, it is still possible to get back after taking some early dawn shots and have a hearty cooked breakfast :ROTFL:

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin... great stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving insights into your use of grads/filters/ps. I've often thought of picking up some grads but, as a people shooter, I just don't do much landscape work.

Now that I have an a900 (and some mf gear soon probably), I'm really thinking about doing some for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!
Hi Shelby,

Many thanks. What MF gear are you considering? I have dipped my toe in that water only once with the ZD, but I have looked at a number of other options, most of which are expensive and lens-limited. I don't dispute the fact that MF digital is superior, just that the law of dimishing returns means you pay a heavy price for sometimes small improvements and I am worried about the future value of the investment.

I feel that the A900 is as good as a 22mp digital back for all practical purposes, better in some and has a wider range of lenses available. The Dorset trip from which I have selected these shots validates for me the use of an A900 with quality lenses as a MF and film alternative. I am keeping an eye of MF and I have some Mamiya lenses ready be used if I go in that direction, but at the moment, I am happy with the A900, which is the closest I have yet come to a genuine all purpose camera.

And by the way, thanks to Jono for tipping me over the A900 ledge - his shots and comments persuaded me to stop dithering and get the wallet out :D

Quentin

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Hi Shelby,

Many thanks. What MF gear are you considering? I have dipped my toe in that water only once with the ZD, but I have looked at a number of other options, most of which are expensive and lens-limited. I don't dispute the fact that MF digital is superior, just that the law of dimishing returns means you pay a heavy price for sometimes small improvements and I am worried about the future value of the investment.

I feel that the A900 is as good as a 22mp digital back for all practical purposes, better in some and has a wider range of lenses available. The Dorset trip from which I have selected these shots validates for me the use of an A900 with quality lenses as a MF and film alternative. I am keeping an eye of MF and I have some Mamiya lenses ready be used if I go in that direction, but at the moment, I am happy with the A900, which is the closest I have yet come to a genuine all purpose camera.

And by the way, thanks to Jono for tipping me over the A900 ledge - his shots and comments persuaded me to stop dithering and get the wallet out :D

Quentin
Thanks quentin... I'm in a holding pattern with the MF gear... but strongly looking at a "tripod/studio" camera. I do some commercial work and am becoming more and more interested in a waist-level camera. I have some experience with the RZ and find myself very compelled to pick up a "new" one since they are so cheap these days... and I find the RZ lenses (nothing wide on digital though, arg!) in combination with a 22mp back to give incredible results at a good price.

I agree with you... the a900 has definitely stopped some of my fervor towards MF, and it'll become my dedicated location and hand-holding camera... but I still find something special about the 22mp backs for beauty, fashion, and studio work. The a900 is 95% there.

I was full-on in a search for MF stuff a few weeks back and had some personal emergencies... which put the stops on everything... so as I move forward I'll keep people posted as to what I find. I definitely plan on shooting the two side-by-side.

BTW... GREAT shots. Thanks for posting.

Quentin_Bargate

One final shot from dorset, a mono image converted using Silver Efex Pro, part of Stair Hole next to Lulworth Cove.

Sony A900, 24-70mm F/2.8, 3.2 secs at F/18 with ND 0.6 filter and polariser, tripod

Right, off for a cup of tea :)

Quentin