The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wides for the Leicaflex SL2?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I need a wide for my SL2. I was leaning to the 21/3.4 but it can be used because the SL2 has no mirror lock up. That leaves me with the 21/4 retrofocus design which Puts doesn't think well of.

Anyother options which used are under 1K?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I need a wide for my SL2. I was leaning to the 21/3.4 but it can be used because the SL2 has no mirror lock up. That leaves me with the 21/4 retrofocus design which Puts doesn't think well of.

Anyother options which used are under 1K?
The older 19/2.8 elmarit is a very good performer ....except for the wave distortion. It doesn t match the newer version but neither does anything else. The older 19 has the Leica look ..excellent contrast . The 24 is much maligned but if stopped down also produces excellent results. I used my copy at 5.6 . Salgado uses a 24 on I believe a R6 with tri x ...was used a lot in his recent book on Africa.

As an aside one of my friends that knows him told me his methods ..he uses tri x rated at 320 (to increase dynamic range) . On the R6 he is using the 24 and the macro 60. many of his images are directly into the sunlight.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The older 19/2.8 looks to me the way to go. My four lenses for the SL2 will be the 180/3.4 APO, 90/2.0 Cron, 50mm Cron and the older 19/2.8.

With my Canon, Zeiss and zuiko, I have 14mm 21, 24, 35 covered in the digital DSLR world. So the 19 with a HappypageHK adapter I'll fill that 14-21 hole and have a dual use lens.