The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3 New DSLR coming soon = New raw converter

edwardkaraa

It became certain from some tease previews on Sony websites that there are 3 new Dslr models coming soon. They will probably be announced around May 15. The good news for me is that new Dslr means updated raw converter. Let's hope Sony will come up with something interesting this time. something along the Canon DPP lines. :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I guess the A700 replacement is one of them. The A700 is THB 32,900 in Bangkok now ( = $940 ). I'm very tempted to use that as an introduction to the system and buy a couple of lenses. Does anybody here have the A700?

edwardkaraa

I guess the A700 replacement is one of them. The A700 is THB 32,900 in Bangkok now ( = $940 ). I'm very tempted to use that as an introduction to the system and buy a couple of lenses. Does anybody here have the A700?
According to the rumours, the A700 is on the way to be discontinued soon, but the 3 new models are for the lower end series. They are the 230, 330, and 380 as replacements to the 200, 300, and 350 respectively. However, a surprise from Sony is still possible, since there have been reports that some Sony shops and online vendors are declaring it as discontinued.

douglasf13

Oh, yes, I have an A700 as a backup, and it's really better than it should be at that price. It is very similar to the D300 in IQ (better color, a smidgen noisier,) and more or less has the A900 feature set, outside of the VF and a few things like Intelligent Preview. The A700 doesn't feel quite as solid as the A900, because the back of the camera is a thin metal coated in plastic, but, considering the price, I don't think you can do better for an APS-C camera. It'd be a great back-up cam, once you get the A900...which you undoubtedly will once you break the Sony seal. :grin:

As far as a new raw converter is concerned, I don't believe Sony brought a new converter with the last A2xx and A3xx lines, but rather with the A700 and A900, so we'll see. I have a feeling we'll see some firmware updates, though.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have an a700 too as back-up. The "GUI" is almost identical to the a900, it is significantly quieter (no articulation in the mirror) and it has built in flash - tho' I've never used that feature. On the negative side, the SSS isn't quite as good imho.

Buying it at today's prices is a no brainer, really.

Bill

Mark K

I am the only one here having two A700. The 2nd one came with 1680 at a price around 1289, cose to 2/3 of what I paid. The shopkeep keeps asking me back for a combo of a900+2470 at 4100 USD.

G

Goldencode

I use two a700's...I really like them and have used them very hard from hot dusty Africa to freezing cold Pennsylvania winters. In fact, I really like them !!

Tom