The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

computer for scanning

dseelig

Okay I have a ton of slides to scan. My music agency died and no new agency will scan. I have a nikon coolscan 5000 with a stack loader. I want to dedicate one computer to scanning these slides. It will be a mac either an imac or ibook either with an intel chip . I am thinking of getting a refub from apple. I have a mac pro for my main computer and want to have that avaible for my printing and day to day work. I have a macbookpro which I need for my every day to day work so which would be a better computer for the scanner a late model ibook or a late imac. PS I will be writing these scans to an external HD David

Last edited:

Mark K

A very similar condition here. I have tons of slides and negative to scan and my scanner is Minolta 5400. I have noticed that the resultant tiff image per scan is 200 Mb so the main concern for me is a dedicated computer with tons of harddisk

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Most scanners have a relatively slow interface, so you do not need a lot of processing horsepower. Your 5000 is FW400 I believe? Thus, even an older MacPro, like a dual 2.66, would be more than adequate as a dedicated station. A relatively good video card and decent monitor and profile will help with the color tweaks. I would bet you can find a good used dual 2.66 for around $1200.

The other advantage is you could also use this box as your image server. It has GigLan onboard, so load it up with SATA drives -- it will take 4 drives native -- scan directly to the drives, and simply network the box via a simple net hub.