The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some (semi-) Fashionable HS Seniors

S

Shelby Lewis

First senior session with the a900 today. The good: The camera is fantastic for portraits... especially scenes with lots of DR. Intelligent preview was very helpful in getting strobe/ambient levels tweaked.

The Bad: My a900 took a fall of about 3 feet onto rock :cry:

More good: It kept on shooting like nothing had happened :thumbs:
(Sucks that it has a few scratches though!)

I shoot almost exclusively young ladies at the high-school level... as young men seem to hate being in front of the camera. These two young men were from the same "family". One was an actual member, the other a foreign exchange student from Seoul. Very reserved guys, so we decided to go a bit "laid-back" and fashionable. I'm still looking at some medium format stuff to compliment the a900 kit... but these look pretty good to me. The quasi-mf look and hand-holdability are just great.

Overall, very enjoyable. All with the sigma 50/1.4 and the a900... Alien Bee AB400 strobe triggered with pocketwizards... or just ambient light and reflector.

Fun stuff :D

Terry

Shelby,
I really like this series. First one is my favorite. I'm sure these guys really liked the shots. Makes them look mature but not old nor geeky. You make it look easy.

dhsimmonds

Superb work Shelby with good subjects. You would never have known that that they might be a bit shy...so you have managed to get the best out of them.:thumbs:

Bad new about the A900 but nice to know that they can take a bit of a knock without expensive repairs. Was the Sigma lens on the camera at the time? If so it says something for that too.

Both yourself and Albert are showing us what the A900 can do with college portraiture and groups.

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks all... we did have a good time. The guys did eventually lighten up a bit.

The sigma was on the cam when it fell. I had a heart attack, lol. The rocks in the third shot are the context of the fall. The cam fell from one "step" to the next. Arggg.... but, alas, only a few small scratches and the camera was altogether unphased.

Did i mention how much i LOVE the colors out of this camera? I'm going back and editing some files from a few weeks ago taken with my old 5D's. I actually think they're as sharp (although not as detailed) as the a900 files, but the reds are all wonky and the color, in general, is not as natural nor as "clear" (if that makes sense).

docrjay

Hi shelby! Really nice work. I have seen your website and man, nice nice photos. I have a question, have you ever tried using macro lenses for portraits? Do you like it? or were they too slow for you?

wayne_s

Shelby,

Can you post some comparison files from the 5D and A900 which illustrate the color differences between the two?Unfortunately, they are probably not taken with the same lens so that can account for some differences. Just trying to see the color difference caused by the camera/sensor vs. the lens.

Thanks all... we did have a good time. The guys did eventually lighten up a bit.

The sigma was on the cam when it fell. I had a heart attack, lol. The rocks in the third shot are the context of the fall. The cam fell from one "step" to the next. Arggg.... but, alas, only a few small scratches and the camera was altogether unphased.

Did i mention how much i LOVE the colors out of this camera? I'm going back and editing some files from a few weeks ago taken with my old 5D's. I actually think they're as sharp (although not as detailed) as the a900 files, but the reds are all wonky and the color, in general, is not as natural nor as "clear" (if that makes sense).

douglasf13

Shelby Lewis;99178I actually think they're as sharp (although not as detailed) as the a900 files said:
Those "clear" colors that you see may be a result of the color separation that I've been rambling on about recently. Konica Minolta DSLRs, while short-lived and not super-popular, were known for color, and I'd bet Sony inherited some of their technology. Konica Minolta's film experience at work, maybe???