The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bounce flash on the a900

S

Shelby Lewis

Just wondering... you guys who shoot events with the a900/hvl-f58m.

If I set the flash to adi and then decide to bounce, I understand that the camera automatically switches to ttl (which is cool). However, if I have a non-sony lens on the camera, does it also default to ttl?

ie... when i use the sigma 50, do i need to set the camera specifically to ttl, or will it switch automatically from adi?

Lastly, do I even need to worry about adi (is the ttl good enough as it is)?

Thanks!
Shelby

BackToSlr

Just wondering... you guys who shoot events with the a900/hvl-f58m.

If I set the flash to adi and then decide to bounce, I understand that the camera automatically switches to ttl (which is cool). However, if I have a non-sony lens on the camera, does it also default to ttl?

ie... when i use the sigma 50, do i need to set the camera specifically to ttl, or will it switch automatically from adi?

Lastly, do I even need to worry about adi (is the ttl good enough as it is)?

Thanks!
Shelby
Shelby,

It does not matter if it is a non-Sony lens, but what is relevant is if it is a "D" lens or a non-D lens. D lenses have 8 electronic contacts (v/s 5 contacts for non D lens) and transmit additional focus information (Distance Encoding, in Sony parlance). If a non-D lens is detected camera automatically switches to TTL.
So i keep my camera in ADI mode all the time. It will switch automatically when either flash is tilted or when non D lens is encountered.

Cheers,

N