The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony flash is great news.

douglasf13

According to alphamountworld.com, the new little $130 Sony flash being released can be used as a trigger for other off camera flashes. Perfect for A900, since it doesn't have an onboard flash trigger like other sony DSLRs. :)

edwardkaraa

Fully agreed. It's so inexpensive and lightweight that throwing one permanently in the bag would be a no brainer. I haven't used on-camera flash for almost a decade, but this small unit might change the way I work especially if it can also be remotely triggered, not only act as a trigger.

peterv

Very interesting! This will work in TTL-mode on the a900?

I guess I could use it as a small fill-in flash outside. And also use it to trigger my Metz mz 54-i's :)

Here's a picture:
Sony alpha DSLR-A330 with the HVL-F20AM flash unit in the down (left) and up positions.

jlm

Workshop Member
pricing is good.
Curiously, Sony wants $120 for just a hot shoe adapter from the existing Minolta style shoe to the more common variety

douglasf13

Not sure, but I understood from the introduction on Sony Europe that you have to put it in the vertical position to turn it on.
Correct. The flash folds down for compactness when not in use. When in use, you flip the flash up. For using bounce mode, there is a switch on the side, which apparently aims the flash lens itself upwards. Pretty cool. :thumbup:

gsking

Correct. The flash folds down for compactness when not in use. When in use, you flip the flash up. For using bounce mode, there is a switch on the side, which apparently aims the flash lens itself upwards. Pretty cool. :thumbup:
Compactness? Hmm, I need a side view. It still looks like it'd be cumbersome and fragile...just in another direction. Maybe I'm not getting it.

I suppose it works as a remote trigger in the vertical direction too? That would be quite beneficial, I would think. You could put flashes behind and beside you without much concern.

Reminds me of one of those old P&S cameras where the flash folded down on a long stalk and lodged near the FRONT of the lens. Popped up, it was quite the giraffe. Optura or something...I can't recall the name.

Greg

douglasf13

I guess I should say compactness relative to the other Sony flashes. I never bring my flashes anywhere because of their size, but this is shirt pocket-able. IMO this is the perfect A900 solution. By leaving off the built-in flash, but offering a small flash that allows bounce and has nearly twice the GN of the A700's built in flash, it's the best of both worlds...Sony should have had this flash available last September.

Terry

Here is the text from the product release...

Flash HVL-F20AM
Weighing less than 100g, the smartly-styled HVL‑F20AM folds down to keep a low profile when it’s not being used. Just pull the flash head up – it’s powered up and ready for use whenever it’s needed.

There’s also a handy switch to select Bounce flash operation. This gives indirect lighting for more natural results with portraits and other subjects that can get bleached out by direct light from an inbuilt flash.

The HVL-F20AM doubles as an ideal wireless flash controller for the full-frame α900. While Sony’s flagship DSLR does not have its own integrated flash, the HVL-F20AM can be used as an inexpensive trigger for wireless remote flash heads.

gsking

I guess I should say compactness relative to the other Sony flashes. I never bring my flashes anywhere because of their size, but this is shirt pocket-able. IMO this is the perfect A900 solution. By leaving off the built-in flash, but offering a small flash that allows bounce and has nearly twice the GN of the A700's built in flash, it's the best of both worlds...Sony should have had this flash available last September.
Aha, I agree completely. Perfectly compact OFF the camera. And I suppose on the camera, but not in use, it's a bit more handy to have it folded down....but then I'd just take it off.

But then, I always use flash. :)

2x the GN of A700...even better.

Greg

Eoin

Nice idea, but it's a shame it doesn't have full wireless function.
According to Sony style Canada... "When teamed with the α900, the HVLF20AM can also be used to trigger wireless flash setups. Please note, however, that this functionality is only available with DSLRA900, and does not include luminosity ratio control."

So no ratio setups on the fly. Perhaps manual power settings on the remotes and trigger with the 20AM?.