The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exporting from Aperture bug

Braeside

Just a heads up for those using Aperture:

When I create a JPG Export Preset that Sizes to Fit within for example 1200 x 1200 pixels, I have found that the resulting file has square pattern artefacts but only if I set the preset to 300dpi rather than 72dpi.

I have 2 otherwise identical Export Presets (one 72 and other 300 dpi) and they give different results. At first I thought it was JPG artefacts, but the same thing happens with PNG exports if I change the dpi setting. I am starting with an original RAW file that is 6048 x 4032 pixels.

I checked the exported file in Safari, Preview and GraphicConverter and the same artefacts are there at 100% view.

I always thought that dpi was only a label and didn't affect the file, but clearly somehow it does.

Has anyone else noticed this odd effect?

Example 300dpi export file showing the pattern effect in the detail (for example the wall):

Same file but at 72dpi export is OK

jonoslack

HI There David
Thank you for the heads up on this - I generally leave mine at 72 anyway, so I guess that's why I haven't come across it.

Nice Picture by the way

Braeside

Thanks Jono, I don't know why I changed it to 300, perhaps it was when I was making some exports for Alamy and wanted to tag them as 300dpi or something and then I made copies of those export presets and modified them, but forgot to change from 300dpi. I was tearing my hair out trying to get a decent export from Aperture yesterday until I discovered this.

I am just back from holiday and am processing the photos as I get time, but seem to have got a cold and not feeling the greatest.

First few photos from Delos are in a gallery:

Delos Flowers

Eoin

I never noticed that before, but then again I would be exporting full size into the plugins.

Anyway for pig iron I ran some tests, it was there. I updated OSX to 10.5.7 from 10.5.6 and ran the test again. The artifact problem seems to have improved somewhat.

BTW there are lots of reports of problems on the 10.5.7 update with various apps as there always is!. So updater beware!, at your own risk.

Apple lists new support for the Sony a900 in this update along with a few other cameras. I don't know if it's an actual update of the a900 raw support or the fact that the whole 10.5.7 update includes the previously available raw camera support that was required to use the a900.

Regards

Braeside

I never noticed that before, but then again I would be exporting full size into the plugins.

Anyway for pig iron I ran some tests, it was there. I updated OSX to 10.5.7 from 10.5.6 and ran the test again. The artifact problem seems to have improved somewhat.

BTW there are lots of reports of problems on the 10.5.7 update with various apps as there always is!. So updater beware!, at your own risk.

Apple lists new support for the Sony a900 in this update along with a few other cameras. I don't know if it's an actual update of the a900 raw support or the fact that the whole 10.5.7 update includes the previously available raw camera support that was required to use the a900.

Regards
Thanks for testing that:salute:

Yes, I am also on 10.5.7

I believe that there is no change to the A900 RAW support as such in 10.5.7, but as you say the update includes the previous RAW camera update.