The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting a Concert with the A900

jonoslack

Hi there
I was asked to do some shots of Nick Lowe and Ron Sexsmith at the Cambridge Corn Exchange last night. I thought I'd give the A900 with the 135 f1.8 a run out for the job.

My problem was that the remit was to get shots of the Band, rather than of Nick, and unfortunately, although the lighting guy had been told, he seemed to be punishing me! Not to mention the fact that there were really only two possible angles to the stage, (front row seats right up to it), and most of the band were invisible from most angles. Still, these things are sent to try us!

I haven't had time to have a proper go through, but here are a couple that seem to have worked reasonably well.

Braeside

Jono, Good to see the 135/1.8 being made to earn its keep. Nice to be asked to do this kind of work. Well done.

S

Shelby Lewis

these are great, Jono. I have the 135/1.8 coming in today and can't wait to use it. All the headshots I've done lately with the 50 have a "wide-angley" look about them, lol.

The tones, composition, "moments", and sharpness are really nice in these as well. Glad to see it working for you in such harsh conditions.

Thanks for sharin'!

jonoslack

David, Shelby, Thanks - I'll be posting some more when I have time to go through them properly.

Bottom line is that out of some 160 photos there were about 110 keepers (doesn't mean they were all good photos, just reasonably in focus without too much camera shake). The lighting for the band members really was horrid.

This shot (which was converted to black and white above) should give you some idea : 135mm, ISO 800, f1.8, 1/125th - the dof is pretty thin, even at that distance, and the autofocus seems to have nailed it, and fast enough to catch the moment, and of course, the viewfinder was good enough to see the moment too!

Last time I did a shoot like this was with the D3 - I was expecting this to be much less successful, of course, the high ISO is much better on the Nikon, but I think I've probably got a better success rate with the AF (slower though it might be)

Diane B

I especially like the b & w. Still--I think--with obviously difficult lighting--that the colors are also nice--I'm just a mono person LOL. Interesting that I like 2 and 4 in both.

Diane

Terry

Hey Jono,
I just went in and looked at the whole series. I like how you took the backgrounds to black on both the color and B&W set.

On the color set, if you click on Nick you get to the correct spot. However if you click on the underlined portion it takes you to the Apple home page.

Terry